Transfer Case Leak Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer Case Leak Help

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 07-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
95_Sahara
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Transfer Case Leak Help

Is this just the Pinion Seal that needs to be replaced? Also I'm taking a 7hr round trip this weekend...should I be ok?

95_Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
jeepbluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

looks like the seal went happen to mine before and i drove from jersey to ohio with it leaking i was fine just top off the fluid and check it when u get to where your going

98 Cherokee classic
jeepbluexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

DEAR LORD!!! Did you pull that driveshaft from the bottom of the ocean???

pickup a seal and a bushing for the TC. I read in other articles they can be a PITA to remove/install, but if you have another vehicle, once you get it off, take it to a local trans shop and they can R&R the seals/bushings for free or <$20.

Just make sure when you get your seal and pull the slip yoke out, feel the yoke and make sure its smooth and not have any burrs that will tear up your new seal. then make sure the seal is the right size on the yoke and not too big.
Unread 07-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeath2000
DEAR LORD!!! Did you pull that driveshaft from the bottom of the ocean???
Exactly what I was thinking.

Personally, I'd let it go. Just keep the fluid topped up in the case.

Think of it as an asset, not a liability. Instead of thinking "leak" (bad) think "proactive rust control system" (good) instead.

Seriously, it's not as bad as it looks. Do the repair as mrdeath2000 suggested, but it can wait until you're ready.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

that's vermont rust for you!

my jeep was from vermont...looked just like that. 90% new metal, and it's somewhat better....somewhat....

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with Mean Max. Mine has looked like that for years and I just check the fluid every once in a while. As well as rust control it also ensures the fluid is always fresh!
Unread 07-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazyj
I agree with Mean Max. Mine has looked like that for years and I just check the fluid every once in a while. As well as rust control it also ensures the fluid is always fresh!
See? You can win TWICE!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
95_Sahara
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hell Yeah! Vermont Rust..The Rest of it doesn't look like that, frame and body are in great shape. lol..So had to drive to Sears and pick up a 30mm (only friken socket I don't own) and picked up fluid to only find the fluid level is fine....Guess I will just keep an eye on the level. Time to return the fluid.

95_Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.