• 1 Post By Jeepsr4me
  • 1 Post By Tom95YJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-23-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
plutokrat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Transfer case housing cracked !!!

I got my new muffler and tail pipe. When i got the Jeep back and at home i was looking for the cause of rotating clunking noise. Found rear half of transfer case cracked. What caused it? Can i leave it in the Jeep and just replace rear half? 109K miles on the Jeep Have not had off road yet and not planning on any serious off-roading. Pic is upside down, can't figure out how to edit. Yall get the idea.

Attached Thumbnails
20170923_124258.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-23-2017, 12:48 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

WTF?

No idea what caused that.

You may find that a transfer case on craigslist will be the same price as the rear member parts. Swapping in a new one will also be easier since it is direct drop.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-23-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
plutokrat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Considering it, the case half is $88.99 an Morris. Just wondering what's in there that needs replaced. Bearings, chain. I'm thinking a a gear chipped and got between chain and gear. Guess i need to take it out and look.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-23-2017, 09:23 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going just off memory, but I think there's only a bearing in that case half.

If you have a way to heli-coil a hole I have a rear half of a case I can ship you for the cost of shipping. One of the tailcone holes is a bit stripped and won't tighten up, you could tap it a bit bigger or heli-coil it. I had a spare case so I swapped out the rear when I needed it.

Also have the good one for sale.
plutokrat likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-23-2017, 09:27 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutokrat View Post
Can i leave it in the Jeep and just replace rear half?
You can, but why bother when taking it out is so easy, just 6 nuts. It would be a lot easier to repair and diagnose what else may be needed with it on the bench.
plutokrat likes this.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-24-2017, 03:32 AM
Jeepsr4me

More like at one point the drive driveshaft broke and swung around and cracked the rear part.. If you had a noisy jeep you may not even heard that other noise.
I bought a jeep that the whole case was broke in pieces and the jeep still drove. The insides where completely packed with red clay and looks like it been that way for a while. Guy I bought it from was not the type to give a **** about anything. You can get cases out of the you pull junk yards for less than that half case deal..
plutokrat likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-24-2017, 08:55 AM
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Goto a wrecking yard and buy an entire case. In my area 231 cases sell for 65 xjs use the same 231 the clocking is different where the indexing ring on the trans is drilled 10 degrees off
plutokrat likes this.

'89 YJ The Smurf Yjoty 2016

'99 XJ Black Betty
post #8 of 10 Old 09-24-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
plutokrat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Hmmmm. Just so happens clamp on rear U-joint came loose. Shaft floped around and smashed the tail pipe, hence new muffler and tail pipe. The crack is definitely new.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-24-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
plutokrat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I agree... Just askin. My last toy was a little closer to the ground and 2 wd.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-26-2017, 07:13 AM
Jeepsr4me

swapping to another case or opening up this one and putting a new outer housing is not hard, Just requires time and a couple of special(not expensive) tools. Plenty of youtube vids on the subject and we can basically walk you thru. I have done my share of them and can walk you thru..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.