Transfer Case and front drive shaft just exploded... why? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer Case and front drive shaft just exploded... why?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 11-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #16
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress
Look at the size of the front driveshaft compared to the rear. You can limp home on it but I wouldn't even dare try to drive it on the highways.
I would. The front shaft is perfectly capable of getting home on the highway. Done it and seen it done many times.

The po's front shaft is nothing like the stock ones I have experience with

Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #17
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The front drive shaft looks normal for that year. It was more common to have the small diamter with an auto transmission because of clearance issues but they were used elsewhere too.

I would be inclined to think there was damage to the transfer case when the rear driveshaft broke and it got finished off later.

There are lots of us out here with an aussie locker in the front and the driveshaft spinning all the time with no issues.

If the front shaft is strong enough for rock crawling it's certainly pletny strong enough for highway driving.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #18
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

you can find all manner of front shafts in yjs. ive never seen one as skinny as the one i had. i did drive on it by itself as well.
Unread 11-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #19
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
If the front shaft is strong enough for rock crawling it's certainly pletny strong enough for highway driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
i did drive on it by itself as well.
my current front shaft in the jeep <---- is a stock YJ shaft lengthened. if it can move my 40's through the roughest Rousch Creek has to offer, it can handle the highway solo just fine
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #20
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

That's the same front shaft as in an 88 4.2 5 speed YJ that I've been doing tranny work on.

Something bound up in the front end or the transfer case or the tranny to do that amount of damage.

It's possible the damage to the rear driveshaft cracked something in the transfer case and it took a few miles to fully fail.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #21
rat9
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies! I have gone over all the gears and really the only damage i can find is the bearing for the front shaft that was ripped out, so I don't understand what could have been damaged when the rear shaft snapped....

My pressing question is: Should I order a rebuilt upgraded 231 (~$900) and toss mine, or buy a used one and a rebuild kit and re-use my slip-yolk kit? I don't want to unknowingly use a damaged part and have this exact thing happen again! Also my slip-yolk eliminator kit is a 2 part version i have never seen a picture of anywhere before.

I am planning on getting a tom woods front drive-shaft either way and a anti-spring-wrap bar for the rear.

The front drive shaft is 1.25inch and i think .120 wall tube. (i cut it open)
rat9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #22
rat9
1990 YJ Wrangler 

More to ponder: I have been inspecting the damage and i noticed that the bell-housing has a FAT crack/dent in the buttom and also the oil pan. There is a ring of thrown grease on the engine and frame and oil pan from the front slip yolk.... does this indicate that the drive shaft did take some time to pop out and spin around throwing grease everywhere? If the transfer case had seized i would imagine the drive shaft stopping immediately and no grease spinning off. Also, wouldn't a sudden event like a bearing being caught in the chain break the chain?
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #23
rat9
1990 YJ Wrangler 

New Thought !

So has anyone ever had the front drive-shaft hit the cross member and bend ? Maybe that's what happened to mine.... There is a NICE bend in the correct spot.....
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #24
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

If it threw grease, that's a sign you had a Ujoint go bad before the failure. If it threw ATF that's a sign the transfer case was throwing fluid from the front yoke.

You've got to fix that bellhousing, not optional.

good luck with the repair. Sounds extensive
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #25
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
If it threw grease, that's a sign you had a Ujoint go bad before the failure. If it threw ATF that's a sign the transfer case was throwing fluid from the front yoke.

You've got to fix that bellhousing, not optional.

good luck with the repair. Sounds extensive
Good call!
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #26
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No major vibes before it broke loose? From the looks of the driveshaft it was doing a great impression of a wobble-stick before things let go.

Busted my rear driveshaft before I put in an anti-wrap bar (just installed SOA and weak factory springs), had to drive home on the highway and around town for a few days before I could have a new rear driveshaft made (already had an SYE). Detroit locker in front, major torque-steer for sure, but certainly nothing vibration-wise that woud have caused my t-case to commit hari-kari like that.
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #27
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Drive shaft thickness and diameter is based on rotational speed and load requirements. A solid small diameter will function like a larger thin wall, but be heaver. On production vehicles speed limiters are added to keep the drive shafts below the speed at which they will start to bend and cause problems.
W_A_Watson_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #28
rat9
1990 YJ Wrangler 

UPDATE: I have the new clutch housing and transfer case in and I have a picture of my estimated front shaft clearance with the front jacked up and axle hanging. I don't really think the front shaft hit the cross-member BEFORE this incident causing it to warp later.

I am not sure if i will have enough clearance when i get a 2 inch diameter shaft though.... what do people do about this? Drop the cross-member an inch?
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #29
bikerdude
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If your driveshaft had even a small bend in it, highway speed would have caused it to deform and bend which in turn would have slid apart the slip joint.

I notched my skid plate to give the front shaft more room about 6 months ago. So far it is holding fine with no extra bracing or welding on it.
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #30
meSiLlY
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm no pro but to me it looks like the shaft was either not strong enough or.. already bent. Highway speeds took either possibility and exaggerated it and the xfer case was the weak point in the vibration storm going on.
meSiLlY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drive shaft , exploded , front drive shaft , transfer case

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.