Transfer case drop removal. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer case drop removal.

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 07-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
Latefreight727
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Transfer case drop removal.

I want to remove the 2" t/c drop on my YJ. How much is involved? Is it simply just removing the spacers or is there more to it? Do I have to change the pinion angles or get a longer drive shaft? Here are some pics.

Latefreight727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

With 4" of lift you need the TC drop to fix your drive line angle.

If you want to get rid of the drop you will have to do a few things, like; motor mount lift with maybe some shims, or a SYE with all the extras that go with it.

The best route, in my opinion since you already have 33" tires, is start saving for an upgrade to your rear axle and do the SYE. The Ford 8.8 is the most popular upgrade.

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
Latefreight727
1991 YJ Wrangler 

OK. Can't figure out how to add pics. Will try again.
photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-5.jpg

Unread 07-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
Latefreight727
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have the SYE. Wasn't aware about all the motor mount stuff. Might not be worth it. I am looking for the ford rear but it will be a while. Have to either re-gear it or get the front done at the same time. I currently have 4:56 gears.
Unread 07-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Now that the pics are available I see you do have a SYE.

I would remove the TC drop and see what your drive shaft angle is. If it needs adjusted I would go with shims on your rear axle to fix the angle. You could grind off your spring perches and reweld them to fix the angle, but shims will do.

Don't worry about a motor mount lift, but... it could be used instead of the rear shims IF it would fix your angle.

So, until you remove your TC drop, you won't really know what needs done. As long as your TC skid bolts come out with no issues, it's a pretty straight forward job. Put a jack under the skid, apply some pressure, remove the bolts, remove the drop, jack up the skid, position the skid and reinstall the bolts, done.

EDIT: Curiosity question - why do you have a TC drop AND a SYE?

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I wonder too, why the TC drop and the SYE together? Probably just something that happened over time.

Your driveline angle looks great, although the exposed spline scares me. You really need a boot to keep that thing clean or it is going to destroy itself by binding up, which might take out your TC.

You don't have a 2" TC drop. It looks like about the standard 1", and all you have to do is remove the spacers and use shorter bolts. Looks to me like that will improve your driveline angle even more.

You've got about a 2" body lift.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

That body lift is quite scary. I have seen worse but not by much.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj93 View Post
that body lift is quite scary. I have seen worse but not by much.
+1
Unread 07-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

From the pics your pinion angle looks high. Removing the tc drop would help. However you don't really know until you put an angle finder on that bad boy. They are cheap and can be found at any box store like Lowe's etc.
Unread 07-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Photo angles can be deceiving, but that looks set up proper for a sye. The rear pinion want to be down just slightly. If you raise the skid, you will likely need to shim the rear spring perches or move them. You really need an angle finder.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #11
Latefreight727
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This is how I got it. All work was done by a PO. The jeep is a bastard. It has 89 axles, 94 -95 transmission, shackle lift, body lift (as you can tell) and I believe spring lift. It had 35's on it when I bought it. I do some trail riding and would like more clearance (cyprus stumps and all) I was told it had a 2" body lift and 4" spring lift. This is my first jeep and I am learning. Believe it or not it runs down the road pretty well.
Unread 07-29-2014, 08:37 PM   #12
Latefreight727
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
That body lift is quite scary. I have seen worse but not by much.
Is it just because it's a 2" lift?
Unread 07-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #13
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latefreight727 View Post
Is it just because it's a 2" lift?
Most people around here will recommend a max 1" body lift. And then it's best to buy a 1" body lift kit from Daystar or other reputable company. Stacking isolators like the PO did just doesn't look right. There are only 11 bolts holding the tub to the frame, and the higher you go, the more stress on those 11 bolts.

I'd take off the bottom isolator, which I think will leave you with a 1" body lift.

35s take a little work to fit onto YJs - especially in the rear fenderwells. I'd recommend TJ flares and some sheetmetal cutting to gain back the tire clearance that you want. Or tube fenders, if you have the budget. Or high line your hood for more front clearance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.