Transfer case drop? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer case drop?

HELLA FF75 12V 55W H7 Fog Lamps - SPECIAL OVERSTOCK SALE FBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiJeep Gear & Install Packages!

Unread 10-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
jhendriks
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Transfer case drop?

With a 2.5" lift will I have to drop my transfer case? If so, how difficult is it?

Thanks for your help.

jhendriks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

A transfer drop is easy. Couple of long bolts and spacers. I made my spaces out of tubing. But don't do a transfer drop until you drive. Some keeps need it some don't. I've learned the hard way every jeep is different. For example, I put a drop pitman arm thinking a needed it with my body lift, shackle lift, and spring lift. Then I busted my steering box, put another one on that had a standard pitman arm. Drive and handles just as good. Lesson: wait and see what you need.
Unread 10-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #3
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrebs View Post
A transfer drop is easy. Couple of long bolts and spacers. I made my spaces out of tubing. But don't do a transfer drop until you drive. Some keeps need it some don't. I've learned the hard way every jeep is different. For example, I put a drop pitman arm thinking a needed it with my body lift, shackle lift, and spring lift. Then I busted my steering box, put another one on that had a standard pitman arm. Drive and handles just as good. Lesson: wait and see what you need.
exactly what i was going to say!
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
xeroid81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you feel drive line vibrations,then you would need one. As the others have said,all jeeps are different depending on your drive train being original or modified.I installed what was supposed to be a 2" lift 15 years ago that turned out closer to 3". It was vibrating kinda bad so I put a xfer case drop kit and it went away. Later on a put a 4* degree shim in it.I did that because I had previously swapped in an XJ drive train.The AW4 tranny is a bit longer,even after moving the motor mounts up the rail a few inches.All in all it worked out good for me but every jeep gives its' own challenge.Crawl under the lifted vehicle and check your drive line angle.You want it pretty even from the pinion yoke to the output cone of the case.It doesn't have to be perfect but get it close. Good luck!
xeroid81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
jhendriks
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone!
jhendriks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.