transfer case drop? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transfer case drop?

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-26-2002, 04:23 PM   #1
4wheelinfool
1980 CJ5 

transfer case drop?

ok, i am not sure what to do about dropping the transfer case. Do i put the spacers on the transfer case or in between the frame and the skid plate. If i do that then i dont actually drop the transfer case? WHAT DO I DO????????????????????????????

4wheelinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2002, 04:31 PM   #2
Dan's YJ

That's correct, if you put the spacers in the TC WILL be lower. The TC is also mounted to the skid plate.
Dan's YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2002, 04:46 PM   #3
4wheelinfool
1980 CJ5 

thanks for the advise Dan. I am putting my procomp 4in. on tonight.
Unread 07-26-2002, 04:52 PM   #4
Dan's YJ

No problem, glad to help.

Let us know how it went.
Unread 07-26-2002, 11:21 PM   #5
4wheelinfool
1980 CJ5 

ok, i put the 4in. procomp lift on about an hour ago and i just finnished test driving it. NOT GOOD. I have a bad vibration at about 50 mph. my question is what is it and how do i fix it. Other than that it looks great but it rides really rough, will the ride get better in the near future?
Unread 07-27-2002, 03:37 PM   #6
Dan's YJ

Okay, are there wedges on the rear leaf springs. And if so, what way did you put them on (is the thick end pointing front or back). The big side should be facing the front (I think) I'd have to look again.

Anyway, Mine did the same thing while accel hard. It would vibr. really bad. I changed my u-joints and now it rides like new. It does feel like my tires are out of balance around 60 though. If I stay below or over it's fine.

Are you still running the stock crappy u-joints?

Make sure your tires are bal. and have new u-joints and it should ride fine. hth
Unread 07-27-2002, 09:10 PM   #7
4wheelinfool
1980 CJ5 

turns out that that i had the axle shims in the wrong place. I had the axle shims in between the leafs and the u-bolt plate instead of in detween the axle and the leafs. so i think i am good to go, so thanks for all the help
Unread 07-28-2002, 06:06 AM   #8
Paulwpetrea

4Wheelinfool, what lift did you go with? The reason I ask is, I REALLY like the BDS lift.

HOWEVER, their T-case drop ... well ... in a word, sucks. The BDS drop kit is just 3 spacers to put on each side of the skid.

The SkyJacker T-case drop kit, however, is MUCH better.

You can make one yourself, actually. Just get two lengths of 1" square stock from Home Depot. (Measure for proper length.)

Measure against the skid plate for proper placement of bolt holes.

Then drill 'em.

------------------ -------------------------------- -------------------- -----------

The reason I am telling you this is, on a length of steel, the skid plate has MUCH more area for support. NOT just 3 points on each side. You can trash the BDS T-case drop on rocks VERY easily. Believe me ... I speak from experience.

Now ... another BETTER option is ... Just go with 1" raised motor mounts. This does two things:
  • It does the same thing a T-case drop kit will do.
  • It allows a bit more (1") ground clearance at the transfer case skid.

Check with Greg @ Expert Offroad. You can e-mail him at: Pert@expertoffroad.com for the best pricing on 1" raised motor mounts. He will hook ya up. Just tell him PWP sent ya.

|[URL=http://www.livingincebu.com/]Living In Cebu[/URL]|[URL=http://www.cebutours.com/]CebuTours.com[/URL]|[URL=http://www.livingincebuforums.com/ipb]LinC Forums[/URL]|

Last edited by Paulwpetrea; 07-28-2002 at 06:20 PM..
Paulwpetrea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2002, 03:16 PM   #9
springfield45
2011 JK Wrangler 

Also loosen the nut/bolt in the center of the trans case skid plat and retighten, it will effect vibration as it tweeked with the drop kit and usually to tight. look and you'll know what I'm talking about.
springfield45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.