Transfer Case diagnosis? NOT CAD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer Case diagnosis? NOT CAD

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Transfer Case diagnosis? NOT CAD

Ok, Did a lot of searching and could not find any answers.

So this weekend I discovered my 4x4 doesn't work in my YJ (1995 4.0L 5spd). I checked out the CAD and it has vacuum to both sides, I removed it and inspected everything and slid the collar into the locked position. Light comes on and when I spin front wheel it turns the drive shaft.

So when I'm in 4wd the front drive shaft does NOT spin. The light illuminates on the dash and I can even shift into 4 lo and have low range but I only get power to rear wheels. The transfer case doesn't make any odd noises, so I'm curious if there's anything else that I can do before replacing it?

I've only had the Jeep a month and when I first got it, I thought the 4x4 worked because the light came on and it went into low range. The transfer case did NOT have any oil it when I went to drain it and I have no clue how long it was dry for.

TIA

dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

How long have you had fluid in your case now? Have you considered changing it again to flush any bits and pieces that may be floating around?

Jack up the front end and put the transfer case in 4 high with the engine running. Spin the wheels to see if the driveshaft turns. If you and a friend can spin both wheels the same direction then you have a problem that necessitates cracking the case and taking a proper looksee.
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

"flush" the tcase like Anticanman said, if no change, it's time to pop the case apart.
It's EASY, just get a good set of heavy duty retaining ring pliers.
Like http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...006392255&An=0
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
How long have you had fluid in your case now? Have you considered changing it again to flush any bits and pieces that may be floating around?

Jack up the front end and put the transfer case in 4 high with the engine running. Spin the wheels to see if the driveshaft turns. If you and a friend can spin both wheels the same direction then you have a problem that necessitates cracking the case and taking a proper looksee.
I filled it about a month ago right after I got the Jeep, but probably only have driven ~300miles. I'll try the tire spin thing this evening after work.
Unread 10-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Jacked it up and the wheels spun freely in 4wd. So guess the thing is F'ed. found a used 1997 XJ transfer case that was mated to an AX4 slushbox, the Novak adapters site claims those are "medium length input gear" but also state those are "rare" there's like a million 4.0L Autotranny XJs out there....
Unread 10-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I pulled the xfer case tonight, and tore into it. The only thing I could find wrong with it was the larger shifter fork had only 1 of the plastic pads on it, the other 2 were broken off and floating around inside the case.

I could spin the tail shaft by hand (in 4x4) and the front output shaft would spin, but as soon as it had any resistance it wouldn't spin (just grabbing it with my hand). Anyone have any idea if this would be caused by missing pads on the large shift fork?

Thanks
Unread 10-25-2012, 03:19 AM   #7
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

depends if it was fully engaged (the linkage sometimes doesnt go where its supposed to) use a wrench and get it into 4x and see what happens.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
taylor797
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have the exact same problem, CAD works, no noises, but no 4wd. I picked up another transfer case to rebuild and when I get a chance I'll drop the skid and swap them. I still can't figure mine out but I'll post if I find out more.
taylor797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies!

I've ordered up new fork pads, since the ones in my box were so F'ed up. Due to the extra slop of them being missing and only 2 or 3 sides on the existing ones, I think that 4wd may not have been fully engaged. Everything looked in good shape otherwise and it appears this Xfer case had been rebuilt previously (witness marks from someone prying out seals and the case is painted black), so I don't think there's much time on the bearings and stuff so I'll forgo the full rebuild kit. I'm sure I'll have this thing apart again in the future after I put a lift on it for a SYE. But the snow is flying and I'm going to need the 4wd soon.
Unread 10-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
bestos
1995 YJ Wrangler 

snow is flying? HA, on the east coast, we are about to get a hurricane offshore. Surf will be good gotta love AMERICA.
Unread 10-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
Jeepsr4me

snow what the hell is that? 84 today..
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Okay in case anyone else has this problem; it WAS the Shift Mode Fork pads that were the culprit. It can't say whether it was the extra slop or one of the little pads that had come loose causing an interference and not allowing 4wd mode to engage.

The blue arched on and 2 white ones are all the mode fork needs. The others do not fit the range fork.

While I had it apart I replaced the rear "adapter seal" on the ax-15 and the rear output shaft seal, and now I don't have any leaks. Unfortunately I have yet to get the speedo pickup clocked correctly to get the speedo working ugh...
Unread 11-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #13
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeryder View Post
Unfortunately I have yet to get the speedo pickup clocked correctly to get the speedo working ugh...
Generally you can dial it in by feel, but you should also see clocking numbers. In this case, I have a 33 tooth drive gear, so it is clocked as you see in this photo. Figure out how many teeth you have, clock it to the retainer tab, and stab it in at that point to start with and see if that doesn't work for you. Edit--there are supposed to be pictures, but I can't make them show up tonight, don't know if it is photobucket or our forum, but if you can't see them, I'll come up with another solution with some creative editing.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.