Which Transfer Case? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Which Transfer Case?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 04-16-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
Mudzilla

Which Transfer Case?

alright i got a 350 in my wrangler, and i was wondering what transfer case i should use, im not real knowledgable on how exactly the gearing in them work or nething like that i know the basics but any more information on them ill take in a heartbeat.......but enough of that what i mainly do is mud bogg, and hill climb (both dirt and sand).....i was tossing up between puttin a 700r4 and th350 transmission in but im pretty sure the th350 is the route im going i dont really wanna deal with a lock up converter and i dont drive it on the highway so i dont need over drive.....but the next issue is which transfer case should i be using, i have the NP231 with the slip yoke elimantor in my jeep now, should i buy an adapter and put that tcase to the TH350 or should i get like a gm t-case like the np241 or even those built dana 300s or atlas tcase.............so tell me what you thinks best for what i use it for and fill me in on what gearing i should be looking for and what not, becuase i dont know if i need to be going 2.52 or the higher the number hte better, i kno that you want a lower first gear but does that mean i want a high number? thanks in advance

Unread 04-16-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
fire11774

If I were thinking of making that swap, I would probably just buy the nv4500 and put the atlas II in would make a much better combo for the 350 power plant. Just my 2 cents
fire11774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
Mudzilla

well i have the TF 999 behind the 350 right now and im gettin rid of that............i wanna stay with an automatic transmission, but thanks for the input
Unread 04-17-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
Mudzilla

no one else has any input on this?
Unread 04-17-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
ss313
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm fairly new to the Jeep world but have owned my fair share of Chevy's. With that kind of hp you should consider a gear drive t-case like the NP205 or the 300. I don't know if you're using the stock axles or not so I don't know which way would be best for you. Just remember that some t-cases will give you a passenger side drop and some will give you a driver's side drop. By the way, if you're using the stock axles and planning on wheeling it you may want to start considering which axles you want to put in it when you break these.

95 YJ 2.5, 5 spd., 8.8, 2" lift, 30's = fun
78 Chevy K10 7" lift, 35's, 350 = intimidation
ss313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
Mudzilla

ya i already got some axles lined up (either dana 44s with upgraded axles and gears, or a chevy 14 bolt) id just rather brake mine first then install em, that 300 is a gear driven tcase right? thats the only thing i really knew i should for sure look into was gear driven and not chain for the added strength, hows the gearing on it for the low end, and should i be looking into doing like 4:1 or nething like that ?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.