JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Transfer case (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/transfer-case-1519556/)

PinBallYJ 05-06-2013 02:09 PM

Transfer case

Ok, first off I would like to say Hello to everyone, and introduce myself as PinBall...

I am a jeep owner and damn near worship mine...1995 Jeep YJ is my first one, and honestly I'm hooked...

Now my question is...

I was mudding the other day, and snapped my transfer case in half...(pictures to follow)

but the tag says it's part number is
R2098362

I've been trying to do research but all I find is a NP 231...

I'm confused on this, and am just trying to replace the t-case ASAP being that the jeep is also my daily...

I found a couple on craigslist including a New process Gear 5300 6094
is that more what I'm looking for?...
can anyone help?

soonermatt 05-06-2013 02:19 PM

Don't get too bumbed out. You almost certainly have an NP231. You can get one of these ~$100 at a junkyard. The new one's yokes or inputs shafts might not be exactly the same but you can mix and match parts from your old. These are really simple to work on.

PinBallYJ 05-06-2013 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well, that's why I'm here, to learn and to get advice, so I thank you, and no, not really bummed out...

:)

from the pic, think it's useable for parts?

jokerchief462 05-06-2013 03:57 PM

Hope you find some parts quick but why did it fail. You got a driveshaft that is too long or bad mounts???? I would figure that out first there has to be a reason for a failure like that. And as stated above NP231s are plentiful and very basic to repair.

jason280 05-06-2013 04:20 PM

Should be fairly easy to fix, looks like you just need to replace the rear housing. If I'm not mistaken, you can probably find a replacement from another Jeeper who has installed a SYE. In fact, I know of at least one member here who's done the swap and has the extra parts in their garage.

Like it was posted above, though, I would figure out what caused the break. Doesn't seem like a common failure, at least from what I can tell from the pic.

rykemc 05-06-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason280 (Post 15397466)
Should be fairly easy to fix, looks like you just need to replace the rear housing. If I'm not mistaken, you can probably find a replacement from another Jeeper who has installed a SYE. In fact, I know of at least one member here who's done the swap and has the extra parts in their garage.

Like it was posted above, though, I would figure out what caused the break. Doesn't seem like a common failure, at least from what I can tell from the pic.

The extra parts from a SYE will not fix the parts he needs to fix his.

idaholtby 05-06-2013 05:11 PM

Welcome to the forum! Please update your profile to include all of your rigs info. All we know at this point is that is a '95. If it is a 4.0L or 2.5L makes a difference here, also, does your rig have a lift? Any mods made from stock need to be noted in your profile to help us help you. Too many variables otherwise and we are left guessing. Your break is not normal, one would guess that the driveshaft was too long and bottomed out or bad u-joints were left unattended too long. But again this is all a guess. Fill in your profile as best you can. The more info the better we can help with quality information/feed back. Oh, and yes... you should have a NP231J for the transfer case, but then again, modifications undisclosed could change this.

jason280 05-06-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

The extra parts from a SYE will not fix the parts he needs to fix his.
Now that I've actually seen the pic on my computer (and not my phone), I see what you mean. That's pretty much destroyed, worse than any other I've seen.

PinBallYJ 05-06-2013 05:45 PM

yea it's pretty toast...

I honestly can't tell you what caused her to break to that degree...guessing there was a hairline fracture in the casing at some point, and I never caught it...and guessing I just went to hard on it that day...
but I was able to nurse her back through the trail, up the road a little bit to a gas station and had a tow-truck come pick her up...

she's a lifted, 95' YJ, 4.0, with a 5spd...rough country lift, rough country steering stabilizer, some 33x12.50 thornbirds, with a TUFF STUFF XTREME 12,500 winch...
couple other things, I'm sure I"m forgetting about at this time, but luckily I found a guy about an hour from where I'm at, that has a 231 and a 4.0, he's selling for about $450...probably talk him down to $400...but it's still hope...
just do the swap, so I can at least get my daily back up, and I plan on doing a complete rear brake rebuild...new drums, wheel-cylinders, everything....

but one more question...would it be wise to do a clutch rebuild while I have the t-case off?...I mean, it's already off, so...figure spend the extra $100-150 to do a clutch rebuild, and then I won't have to worry about that for awhile...

idaholtby 05-06-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinBallYJ (Post 15397896)
yea it's pretty toast...

I honestly can't tell you what caused her to break to that degree...guessing there was a hairline fracture in the casing at some point, and I never caught it...and guessing I just went to hard on it that day...
but I was able to nurse her back through the trail, up the road a little bit to a gas station and had a tow-truck come pick her up...

she's a lifted, 95' YJ, 4.0, with a 5spd...rough country lift, rough country steering stabilizer, some 33x12.50 thornbirds, with a TUFF STUFF XTREME 12,500 winch...
couple other things, I'm sure I"m forgetting about at this time, but luckily I found a guy about an hour from where I'm at, that has a 231 and a 4.0, he's selling for about $450...probably talk him down to $400...but it's still hope...
just do the swap, so I can at least get my daily back up, and I plan on doing a complete rear brake rebuild...new drums, wheel-cylinders, everything....

but one more question...would it be wise to do a clutch rebuild while I have the t-case off?...I mean, it's already off, so...figure spend the extra $100-150 to do a clutch rebuild, and then I won't have to worry about that for awhile...

Hmmm,,,, Did you remove your tranny in order to service the NP231?????
Confused, as this is not necessary. Only attack the clutch if your rig indicates that it needs it done.

soonermatt 05-06-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinBallYJ (Post 15397896)
yea it's pretty toast...

Here's what you need to do. You have the AX15 version of the NP231 with the 23 spline input shaft. This is the same as the one you're gonna find in the junkyards. You won't find a YJ one...most likely. You need to go grab one from a Jeep Cherokee. The Jeep Cherokee one is going to have a CV style front yoke which you can't use...at the moment. So you'll just swap your front yoke onto the Cherokee NP231 and you're back on the road.

You don't have to pull the tranny to get the transfer case off. The transfer case is something you can do yourself if you have moderate to low chest strength. (One of the few times bench press matters in real life...although I have a low bench)

Save that old yoke, chain and rear yoke housing. There is an outside chance you'll need that in the future. (But you really just need to go SYE.)

The TJ/XJs have a double cardon in the front. Our YJs have neither. I upgraded to double cardon front and rear and you might do the same eventually.

I can't comment on the clutch other than now might be the time to try it if you have a good motor cycle/tranny jack.

PinBallYJ 05-06-2013 08:36 PM

whats SYE

idaholtby 05-06-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinBallYJ (Post 15398739)
whats SYE

SYE = Slip Yoke Eliminator. Original equipment has a slip yoke on the output of the transfer case. Very problematic and very prone to leaks. The slip yoke eliminator removes the slip yoke and replaces it with a CV style yoke. No more movement across an output seal and a gained increase in degree of rotational movement. A win/win when one performs a lift on their rig.

Ripper3494 05-06-2013 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
slip yoke eliminator

Ripper3494 05-06-2013 08:48 PM

and that advice on the cherokee is good. i have a cherokee case in mine and its perfect. exact same thing except for yokes. youll probably spend around 200 bucks to get your jeep moving again. or if you wanna think ahead go out and get an SYE kit and driveshaft, so your rear is set and you can loose that skid plate drop that i presume you are running.

also CHECK YOUR FRONT DRIVESHAFT LENGTH. failures like that only happen when springs invert in the front or if the front driveshaft is too long and it smashes into the case

The time now is 04:05 AM.