Transfer Case - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer Case

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 04-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #16
2uraven
1990 YJ Wrangler 

cajuns right with the back half of the case off it will be loose. if your teeth are broken you may have a bad bearing. i got a complete bearing, seal rebuild kit and a chain for about 180 bucks threes weeks ago from east cost gear. (now is a good time to do the sye. complete kit with tom woods shaft from 4x4 group buy with for 460 bucks) just a thought if you have the doe

2uraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #17
tammaru
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great. I will def. check the teeth.
tammaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #18
tammaru
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So I took the whole transfer case apart and checked the teeth of every gear in there, they all look fine. The nylon pads on the forks are intact with no wear... I'm replacing the chain just because I heard chain clanking for a long time before this happened, plus it has 200,000 miles on it so it can't hurt.

What else could this be? I looked in the differential and everything looks good in there also. Nothing broken, everything moves without noise and no missing or broken teeth. Tranny? That's what I thought originally, but I have no issues shifting, it would stop go stop go (it was almost as if it was losing power, but the engine was running fine, no idle problems) in every gear.... then I'd keep the gas down and it would make a horrible noise, metal clanking (not in rythym) like something was breaking and then it would go a bit again, then it would repeat. Next morning, it drove fine again. I'm at a loss. Unforunatly I didn't throw it into 4WD and see what happened.

I'm going to put it all back together tomorrow and see what happens unless someone else here has another idea, I'm out of them.
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #19
2uraven
1990 YJ Wrangler 

that sounds notgood! I would check your trany bolts , but that doesnt explain the loss of power. what does the oil in your engine and trany look like? Is the sound like a knocking? I hate guess something like a spun rod bearing, but...try reposting this also. someone might have had a problem like this that was no big deal.
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #20
DaveinHouston
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammaru View Post
So I took the whole transfer case apart and checked the teeth of every gear in there, they all look fine. The nylon pads on the forks are intact with no wear... I'm replacing the chain just because I heard chain clanking for a long time before this happened, plus it has 200,000 miles on it so it can't hurt.

What else could this be? I looked in the differential and everything looks good in there also. Nothing broken, everything moves without noise and no missing or broken teeth. Tranny? That's what I thought originally, but I have no issues shifting, it would stop go stop go (it was almost as if it was losing power, but the engine was running fine, no idle problems) in every gear.... then I'd keep the gas down and it would make a horrible noise, metal clanking (not in rythym) like something was breaking and then it would go a bit again, then it would repeat. Next morning, it drove fine again. I'm at a loss. Unforunatly I didn't throw it into 4WD and see what happened.

I'm going to put it all back together tomorrow and see what happens unless someone else here has another idea, I'm out of them.
That chain isn't bad enough to cause those symptoms. In fact in the photos the chain looks pretty good.

- NRA Life Member - Licensed to Carry and Do.
DaveinHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #21
tammaru
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uraven View Post
that sounds notgood! I would check your trany bolts , but that doesnt explain the loss of power. what does the oil in your engine and trany look like? Is the sound like a knocking? I hate guess something like a spun rod bearing, but...try reposting this also. someone might have had a problem like this that was no big deal.

Never thought of checking the tranny bolts, will check tomorrow. Engine oil is nic and clean, I change it every 3000-4000 miles. Tranny oil looks the same, it was changed late last year. It's not a knocking, it's like someone hit something below me with a hammer, it's not constant, it does it once or twice each time this happens.
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #22
2uraven
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the loss of power is a mystery but sometimes my cross member mounts make noise but not like that. a long time back i had a 78 chev 3/4 ton that i replaced the trany in. i didnt tighten the bolts enough and it made a hell of a sound when i hit a bump just right.
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #23
tammaru
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I replaced the chain and the chain noise is gone. Replaced the fluid in tranny with synchromesh and put everything back together. Driving around so far, everything is working well, but I don't think I actually fixed the issue. we'll see I guess. Thanks to everyone who chimed in and tried to help!

TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.