Transfer Case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer Case

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andPerformance tuning programmers @ oconee off road 706 534 9

Unread 04-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
tammaru
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Transfer Case

93 4cyl manual YJ

I posted this yesterday with the title "Transmission?", but thanks to a response on that thread I'm starting to think that it is the transfer case.

So I was driving home from work yesterday when my jeep just stops going.... didn't matter what gear it was in.... it would just stop, giving it gas it would stop go stop go with some horrible clunking noises coming from under me. Then it would go for bit and then stop go stop go again with the clunking. I've had a slow leak from the transmission for a while, I guess it's possible that there is very little fluid in there, I have been putting off filling it as I get more oil on myself than in the tranny. No problems putting it in gear and no clunking with the clutch in. Also, clutch was done last summer and timing chain was done a month and a half ago. The fuel pump is a couple of years old and I wouldn't expect any awful clunking with that failing, plus it idles just fine.

So the transfer case and transmission were indeed fillled with oil, so there goes that idea. I have been hearing a chain rattle from underneath, not the timing chain either, since that was just replaced. Could a loose/broken chain in the TC cause the car to feel like it's losing power and make horrible clunking noises, then go again for a bit and then repeat? What inside the transfer case could cause this? I'm not very familiar with the TC, but am hoping to rebuild whatever it is that needs to be fixed inside, assuming of course it is the transfer case. (all of this is in 2 wheel drive, haven't tried 4 wheel since this happened). ...funny, my fiance was just complaining about the money I throw at my trucks and I said, "don't worry, there's nothing wrong with the Jeep." Great. Thanks.

TJ

tammaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
MWguy101
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The noise your hearing could be your magnet loose in your transfer case. The magnet is there to catch loose metal shaving and such. Its number 35 in the pic. Open your tcase up and take a look. Its not really a bad thing to get into. Just make sure when you put it back together you get some RTV gasket seal to put around the edge.

Unread 04-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If I was you I would take the transfer case out, open it up and check it out.

Check the gears if any teeth are missing, check the magnet inside for any metal particles or anything like that. Make sure the chain is tight also. The chain is what seems to be the problem to me. That it gets slack which causes it to stop then tightens back up when it starts going and that keeps happening.

If it is bad then fix it, if it is good then put it back in and try it again.
Unread 04-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
tammaru
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So I'm going to open it up and check it out. I've got a couple of questions about the chain... how loose it too loose? I tried feeling it through the fluid fill hole, I couldn't feel it on top but I could feel it on the bottom, I could move it but I don't know how much it too much. Also, is there any guide for the chain and gears as far as how many chain links should be between the gears on top and/or bottom?

That layout of the TC is going to be great for when I need to put this thing back together, thanks.

LAXnyj18 - I hope it is just the chain, doesn't seem to bad of a job, and roughly $80 for chain and a few other things, not too bad.

I'll let you guys know what I find.
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
tammaru
1993 YJ Wrangler 

anyone? any idea on the chain?
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Open her up and take some pics. We can tell you alot just by looking.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah take it apart to tell about the chain. It could have some wiggle and still perform properly, it could be tight and not. Hard to tell with your finger in the hole.

Yes there is teeth/gear that the chain is on, it may have popped off or broke off.

Do as rusty says though, take the case out and apart then take a bunch of good pictures and post them up.
Unread 04-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
tammaru
1993 YJ Wrangler 

working on it now... waiting for my knuckle to stop bleeding, stupid muffler heatshield.
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
tammaru
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here are two pics... to the touch it is really loose. So this could effect 2wd when it rattles about and gets taut at times?

[IMG]F:\my_pix\0408102104a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]F:\my_pix\0408102106b.jpg[/IMG]
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammaru View Post
Here are two pics... to the touch it is really loose. So this could effect 2wd when it rattles about and gets taut at times?

[IMG]F:\my_pix\0408102104a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]F:\my_pix\0408102106b.jpg[/IMG]
You will need to upload the pictures to a free hosting site such as photobucket and then put in the IMG links so that others can see it.

What you did was linked them to your computer which wont work.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
73Dart
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check the neutral shift fork and nylon pads that are suppose to be on it. (they are numbers 7 and 3 in the above picture. I had the same problem in my Ram 2500 and they were gone and the shift fork was worn pretty bad. It would let the neutral gear float between engaged and not engaged while I was driving and would get worse the more I towed. I was pulling 13k lbs through the mountains of NC when it got really bad. I put a new fork, and pads on it over a year ago and haven't had a problem since.

My motor swap thread
73Dart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #12
tammaru
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 04-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #13
tammaru
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ok... pictures.

just in case the pics didn't work, the links.

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/a...nsfercase1.jpg

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/a...nsfercase2.jpg

So loose or not? Seems loose to me.
Unread 04-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #14
tammaru
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So does the chain need to be replaced?
Unread 04-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #15
Cajun90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That chain does not look that loose to me. Keep in mind that when you have the rear half of the case off it is going to make the chain loose because the shafts are allowed to move. The rear case half holds the 2 shafts straight. Turn the shaft and check all the teeth on the gears.
Cajun90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.