Trans swap to AX-15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trans swap to AX-15

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-31-2002, 08:45 AM   #1
johny1i

Trans swap to AX-15

Hey guys,

Found a good deal on an '89 Sahara (would make a good second/wife vehicle), but I'm a little skeptical due the stories I've heard about the Peugeot transmission and how hard it is to find parts, weakness, etc. Anyway, I'm wondering what it entails to swap in an AX-15--different bellhousing, new floor cutout, same clutch system? Is the rear transmission mounting surface the same as an AX-15; hence, will it mate to the NP-231, and at the same length, or do I have to get new driveshafts?

Thanks a lot for any info--

Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 11:01 AM   #2
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I understand that the basics of the BA10 and AX15 are the same, but if you do the swap, make sure that you get everything with the tranny.

The bell housing I understand is the same, but you might need to chage the output (or input) shaft between the tranny and t-case (different spline counts).

I am sure that this change over was discussed about 2 weeks back .. do a quick search .. you should find it.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 11:53 AM   #3
johny1i

Thanks Naekid, that's exactly what I needed to know. I check this thing everyday but I guess I just missed that thread .
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
Unread 07-31-2002, 07:13 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I know you are here everyday .. I am tryin' to keep ahead of your post count .. and its getting harder and harder to do so

Unread 07-31-2002, 08:57 PM   #5
johny1i

Dude, I'll never catch up to 845, I'm only good for engine talk and the occasional BS on here . Anyway, I've done my research today and it comes down to about 3 choices:

NV3500 from Advance Adapters including everything necessary (even the trans fluid) - $2225 (and they mention a 13-degree TC angle versus the stock 23-deg angle of some configurations which means that it may rub the skid plate, and makes me a little apprehensive--as if the cost isn't enough!)

Rebuilt Peugeot with 1 year parts and labor warranty from local salvage yard - $1450 (and I'd still have an inferior transmission)

Rebuilt AX-15 from same salvage yard - $1100, plus bellhousing, slave cylinder, as necessary

I read some posts that some guys found used AX-15s for as little as $300, but I just don't know about this--seems like a lot of money to put in a YJ. Especially considering that the guy at the salvage yard just bought a 1988 with 4.2, AC, and auto trans for just over $2000. Why don't I ever come across those deals??

Last edited by johny1i; 07-31-2002 at 09:00 PM..
Unread 07-31-2002, 10:49 PM   #6
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Them BA10's are worth that much!?!?

I gave my tranny and t-case away for $300 as a matched pair when I went to Chevy power! I figured my NP231 was worth something (it was just rebuilt a couple months earlier) .. but the BA10 I just tossed in to sweeten the deal ..

Ooopps.. maybe I should have asked for a little more money ..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.