trans swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > trans swap

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
blackyj80
1987 YJ Wrangler 

trans swap

I have a 87 yj with a 2.5 and a stick. I have a few questions.

What trans is in my YJ?

What trans is in a 97 TJ with a 2.5 and stick?

Will the trans out of the TJ fit my YJ?

Is the TJ trans better than the YJ trans?

Remember. . . .A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.
blackyj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

They are both the same trans for the most part. The TJ one is better as it is external slave.. So if you thinking of swapping its a good swap.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
BrandonYJReed
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackyj80
I have a 87 yj with a 2.5 and a stick. I have a few questions. What trans is in my YJ? What trans is in a 97 TJ with a 2.5 and stick? Will the trans out of the TJ fit my YJ? Is the TJ trans better than the YJ trans?
-You have an AX-5
-I believe they're also an AX-5
-Not Sure...
-If it's the same trans then no.
I would put and AX15 in. Go in the stickies and there is a couple threads on trans swaps.

-1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, lifted 4.5", JK Rubi take offs.
BrandonYJReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
Jeepsr4me

Just go with the ax5 from TJ.. Like I said, they are the same. bell housing different to accommodate the slave. Minor mods to change over the the better slave so well worth it. Plus you dont have to mess with driveshaft mods when going to the ax15. even though its a way stronger trans...
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
BrandonYJReed
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me
Just go with the ax5 from TJ.. Like I said, they are the same. bell housing different to accommodate the slave. Minor mods to change over the the better slave so well worth it. Plus you dont have to mess with driveshaft mods when going to the ax15. even though its a way stronger trans...
He makes some good points. Just depends how much work ya wanna do and what's readily available to you.

Unread 03-12-2014, 05:33 AM   #6
blackyj80
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I already have the trans that’s in the 97 tj. I have a tj parts chassis with full power train. I seen it was external slave and that’s why I’m asking. I think the slave in my yj is bad. If I am going to pull mine out seems like a good idea to go ahead and swap to external slave. I am putting this jeep together because my wife wants one to ride in on the weekends. It’s not going to be doing any major off roading for a while. I have a taco that I beat up on rocks. I like jeeps too much to beat them against rocks and trees. We will go on a lazy day mild trail rides with the jeep and enjoy the weekend but nothing too bad. My wife does not like extreme climbing so want let me tear the jeep up. The taco on the other hand is fare game, until she sees the parts bill after buddies and I get through fixing what we broke.
Remember. . . .A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.
Unread 03-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #7
BrandonYJReed
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just put your YJ tub on the TJ frame/suspension. That would be pretty cool.

Unread 03-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
blackyj80
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have been thinking about doing that. I have not made up my mind yet on weather to do that. I kind of like the way my jeep looks now with the lift that is on it. The yj frame is stock.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.