trans shifter bracket advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > trans shifter bracket advice

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 09-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

trans shifter bracket advice

I am doing a 4.2 swap to 4.0. got the trans and t-case in last night and today when putting in my exhaust manifold i realized that it is hitting my shifter bracket. doing some research i saw the bracket is different on some other models.

my question is i could just cut the bracket to resemble that of the other ones right? i would also reinforce it a little since it would only be held on by one bolt now instead of 3.
or do they sell a bracket somewhere because i like that idea better?

photos attached with the blue mani are mine and the older looking ones are from a 91 4.0 also with the tf999 credit to The_Goob

also i am going to be cutting out the old exhaust don't worry

thanks guys

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1-.jpg

unnamed-2-.jpg

unnamed-3-.jpg

cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had to re make that bracket when I put on a borla header. A few mock up pieces with tin and a couple quick cuts and welds. The only issue I had was the exhaust was close enough afterward to melt the plastic bushing so I ended up with a brass pipe fitting and a spring to hold it in. Can't find pictures.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Well I'm trying to figure out if there's a stock bracket that is different then mine cuz obviously the 94 exhaust manifold is not gonna clear the bracket

Anymore advice guys?
Unread 09-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

lokar makes shift stuff? only help i can be
Unread 09-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

I really just need more pics of post carbureted yjs cuz they have a different manifold so I can only assume they have a different shifter bracket
Unread 09-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Your bracket looks just like the one on my '89. To make the Borla fit I cut the ears off rewelded them on the other side, shortened the arm that mounts to the trans, and re-drilled the rod hole as close to the 90 degree bend as i could.
Unread 09-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #7
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

hard as i look i cant find any pics of the modified bracket. I did find a pic of the bracket from my buddies cj7. I thought it might help when i was doing mine.
link.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.