trans shifter bracket advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > trans shifter bracket advice

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

trans shifter bracket advice

I am doing a 4.2 swap to 4.0. got the trans and t-case in last night and today when putting in my exhaust manifold i realized that it is hitting my shifter bracket. doing some research i saw the bracket is different on some other models.

my question is i could just cut the bracket to resemble that of the other ones right? i would also reinforce it a little since it would only be held on by one bolt now instead of 3.
or do they sell a bracket somewhere because i like that idea better?

photos attached with the blue mani are mine and the older looking ones are from a 91 4.0 also with the tf999 credit to The_Goob

also i am going to be cutting out the old exhaust don't worry

thanks guys

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1-.jpg

unnamed-2-.jpg

unnamed-3-.jpg

cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had to re make that bracket when I put on a borla header. A few mock up pieces with tin and a couple quick cuts and welds. The only issue I had was the exhaust was close enough afterward to melt the plastic bushing so I ended up with a brass pipe fitting and a spring to hold it in. Can't find pictures.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Well I'm trying to figure out if there's a stock bracket that is different then mine cuz obviously the 94 exhaust manifold is not gonna clear the bracket

Anymore advice guys?
Unread 09-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

lokar makes shift stuff? only help i can be
Unread 09-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

I really just need more pics of post carbureted yjs cuz they have a different manifold so I can only assume they have a different shifter bracket
Unread 09-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Your bracket looks just like the one on my '89. To make the Borla fit I cut the ears off rewelded them on the other side, shortened the arm that mounts to the trans, and re-drilled the rod hole as close to the 90 degree bend as i could.
Unread 09-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

hard as i look i cant find any pics of the modified bracket. I did find a pic of the bracket from my buddies cj7. I thought it might help when i was doing mine.
link.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.