trans problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > trans problems

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 04-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Exit93
1991 YJ Wrangler 

trans problems

So my trans started to jump out of first gear a few months ago. I called a few shops to get quotes to get it fixed. The cheapest I could find was $1700. That's way too much for a broke college kid (me) to pay. I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions on what to do. Do I try to fix it my self? I have the basic hand tools but no press or pullers. Do I try to find one from Craigslist? Or does anyone know a cheep trans shop I can get it fixed at?

Exit93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a sycronizer to me, but if you can't foot the shop bill a CHEAP car would work until you can, unless you know someone who's damn good with transmissions. that or a junkyard replacement, but gotta be carefull in case it doesn't work and make sure it'll mount in
flea1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Try car-part.com. That is a site that us wrecking yards upload our inventory to. You can look in your area or by price. When you find one ask what kind of warranty they have. Honestly if it is less than 90 days I would keep looking but 60 is OK. When you think you may have found the one you like call around to different shops in their town and get some feedback so you know you are not dealing with a deadbeat yard. Good luck with your search.
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.