trans problem need HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > trans problem need HELP

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-03-2002, 05:45 PM   #1
jeepguy616

trans problem need HELP

problem started a week ago. I have a 87 yj with the Peugeot transmission. It was getting hard to get in gear. My first attempt was to bleed the master cylinder. This seemed to help for about 15 miles and problem came back. Next I replaced the master cylinder and bled the system again. helped for about 5 miles and got bad enogh to where it would not go into gear at all. when the motor is running it will not go in gear but with the motor shut off it will go in gear. HERES THE KICKER, I put the trans in gear with the motor shut off and then depressed the clutch to start and turned the key and as it turned over the jeep started to move. Some how the clutch is not depressing all the way. HELP? does this have to deal with the clutch or something else? Is there a inspection plate to check the clutch? Thanks

jeepguy616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2002, 12:13 AM   #2
SFM1AE2

I have an 87 with the same tranny. I haven't had a problem yet but It has to be the hydrolic clutch mechanism. Let me know what happens.
Unread 02-04-2002, 02:27 AM   #3
FLYBYU

It's not a problem with your tranny, its the clutch thats had. I just had the same problem with a 94 YJ that I just bought. The master cylinder on your clutch is gone so when you depress the clutch pedal it dosen't actually depress the clutch, thats why when you put it in first to start it and depress the clutch the truck moves anyway, you don't have a clutch. I would suggest doing the same as me and getting it towed to the nearest dealer, it's awful hard on you starter starting it in gear and you can't shift up or down without hurting the tranny. The dealership is picking up the cost for mine cause I only bought it a week ago, but it will cost them over $1000 Cnd, Ouch! I wish you the best of luck and hope it dosen't cost you too much.
FLYBYU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2002, 05:47 PM   #4
BTowe

Quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy616:
problem started a week ago. I have a 87 yj with the Peugeot transmission. It was getting hard to get in gear. My first attempt was to bleed the master cylinder. This seemed to help for about 15 miles and problem came back. Next I replaced the master cylinder and bled the system again. helped for about 5 miles and got bad enogh to where it would not go into gear at all. when the motor is running it will not go in gear but with the motor shut off it will go in gear. HERES THE KICKER, I put the trans in gear with the motor shut off and then depressed the clutch to start and turned the key and as it turned over the jeep started to move. Some how the clutch is not depressing all the way. HELP? does this have to deal with the clutch or something else? Is there a inspection plate to check the clutch? Thanks
BTowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2002, 05:50 PM   #5
BTowe

The Peugot Transmission is a very weak tranny. If you haven't had trouble yet, you will. I spent $700 on a complete rebuild 18 months ago and had to tow my Jeep in last night because it went out again. I'm looking for some kind of bolt on replacement that will work with my x-fer case and drice shaft. Does any one know what that might be?
BTowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2002, 05:57 PM   #6
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

Internal slave cylinder or clutch. If your clutch pedal moves too easily its the slave cylinder. If your clutch pedal is the same as it always was and your not losing any fluid, then it's the clutch. Either way, you have to pull the tranny and transfer case to get to the clutch and slave cylinder.
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2002, 08:27 PM   #7
jeepguy616

Thanks guys, I will have to start tearing it down. Looks like the clutch seeing as how my clutch pedal still seems the same and no fluid loss. While I have it apart I will change slave cylinder also.

I think I will be looking in to a ax-15 tranny so that I will be able to put the slave cylinder on the outside. Thanks again
jeepguy616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.