trans issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > trans issue

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Bigones1993
1992 XJ Cherokee 

trans issue

ive got a 95 yj i just got with a 2.5 and im not sure what trans its a 5-speed a tx5 maybe? im not sure but it grinds in to 3rd and 4th bad and sometimes 1st and 2nd on a hill with the cluch pedal out and in gear it still can roll backwards is this a clutch issue? and it bucks from time to time i think it might be clutch problems as well i need some help thanks-airman first class molloy

69 Jeepster Commando (Gone)
Bigones1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

AX5 tranny. Lucky you with an external clutch slave style hydraulic system. Check your clutch master reservoir make sure it is full. If not full, fill it and bleed the clutch hydraulic system and of course try to figure out where the leak is. Way low on fluid (Brake fluid DOT 3/4 in the master) in the clutch master would imply a leak. Make sure system full and bled, then try driving/shifting again and report back with results.

No big surprise otherwise with grinding as you describe, you likely have a lotta miles on and it may be time to consider rebuilding. But of course, check for the lube level in the tranny, change it, see if any difference in action, etc.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
trboxman

1987 YJ Wrangler 

And don't rely on engine compression on a 2.5 to hold it in place when parked on a hill.
Unread 12-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
jmews
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
AX5 tranny. Lucky you with an external clutch slave style hydraulic system. Check your clutch master reservoir make sure it is full. If not full, fill it and bleed the clutch hydraulic system and of course try to figure out where the leak is. Way low on fluid (Brake fluid DOT 3/4 in the master) in the clutch master would imply a leak. Make sure system full and bled, then try driving/shifting again and report back with results.

No big surprise otherwise with grinding as you describe, you likely have a lotta miles on and it may be time to consider rebuilding. But of course, check for the lube level in the tranny, change it, see if any difference in action, etc.

Exactly what I was thinking as well. If you aren't in a position to buy new or rebuild if the problem persists feel free to pm me whenever as I have an AX5 from a 91 YJ with a clutch that has less than 2500 miles on it I would be willing to send your way. After it is pulled and my AX 15 is in of course
jmews is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Bigones1993
1992 XJ Cherokee 

i checked the fluid level for the clutch its full but it may need to be bled the pedal does feel somewhat soft i also tried earlier today to check what it looked like in the trans but i couldn't get the torx screw out to check it with out stripping it
Unread 12-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigones1993 View Post
i checked the fluid level for the clutch its full but it may need to be bled the pedal does feel somewhat soft i also tried earlier today to check what it looked like in the trans but i couldn't get the torx screw out to check it with out stripping it
It is always good to make sure you can get the fill plug out, before you drain the thing. However, you can always pull off your shift tower on top and fill thru there, you just have to not put in too much lube. This is the next thing to do.

Since your hydraulic system is full, try a bleed and see if that helps. You can always get the one piece, pre bled clutch master/hose/slave unit and bolt that in. Easy. Will edit you in a link all about the external slave unit. Remember clutch hydraulics can fail without showing a leak as well, they leak back internally past the seals and you don't get hydraulic pressure adequate to operate the system. I am getting the feeling from what you've said that this is going to be primarily a tranny problem. Worn clutch would show failure by slipping as well.

Read thru this from the FAQ: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...-unit-1112094/

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 12-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
Bigones1993
1992 XJ Cherokee 

aftter working and trying to figure out the ways of the external slave the bleeder will not tighten back up it just turns endlessly
Unread 12-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
Bigones1993
1992 XJ Cherokee 

on top of that i found a small piece of rubber what looks like half a seal in the bottom of the master res
Unread 12-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Easy job to replace the hydraulic system in your case. Two bolts to master two to slave and at least one holding the hose to front of the bell.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
Bigones1993
1992 XJ Cherokee 

thats whats going to happen oh well easy job to do at least thanks for all the help your one of the most helpful jeepers ive met
Unread 12-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigones1993 View Post
aftter working and trying to figure out the ways of the external slave the bleeder will not tighten back up it just turns endlessly
Sort of a strange situation there, maybe the plastic threads in the tower stripped? But you already know the easy remedy. Couldn't post these up yesterday as I was lounging out at Pokai bay and on my iPhone. Also updated the external slave thread photos cited above with some more photos.
Just for kicks, consider saving your bleeder set screw from the slave, and the hose. Some Jeeper will be needing it at some point.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
Bigones1993
1992 XJ Cherokee 

i went ahead and got to master and slave the shops i went to didnt have the full set or it would take a week to get them in so i just got them separate and i'm installing today
Unread 12-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

It should work well enough that way, if needed for ease you can pull the hose from the Jeep, do the assembly and likely the bleeding on the bench then bolt the whole thing back in. Otherwise make sure you bench bleed the master.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
Bigones1993
1992 XJ Cherokee 

ok so far i pulled the whole thing out (line and all) i have the master taken off the line and im fighting the pin for the slave. whats the best way to bench bleed the master?
Unread 12-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #15
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Generally there will be some instructions in the box. Likely a threaded plastic plug rolling around or already in the outlet where the hose goes. Best to mount in vice, fill reservoir and slowly move the piston (rod) in and out and you'll see bubbles come up in the reservoir. Takes as much strokes as it needs to get out all the bubbles. You could google bench bleed as well and see what else comes up. I've even injected brake fluid down the bore with needle/syringe on difficult ones. Then connect to hose, let hose fill without emptying res, connect to slave and bleed slave. Cap it off and bolt it in.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.