Tranny/Tcase Support an belly pan ideas: Pix would be helpfull - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tranny/Tcase Support an belly pan ideas: Pix would be helpfull

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Tranny/Tcase Support an belly pan ideas: Pix would be helpfull

I have a 92 YJ with a 2.5 inch Rubicon Express suspension lift kit an a 2 inch body lift. As a result of the suspension lift, my belly pan is making used of the supplied 1 inch belly pan drop.

My goal is to gain ground clearance by lifting the Engine 1 in above factory an raise the TCase 2 inches from current location (which would be 1 inch above factory). I understand that this modification will require a SYE and possible pushing the rear axle back some.

What I am thinking, is a single .120 wall 1 inch tube somehow connected to the inside of the frame with the tranny attached in the middle (roughly). An then build some form of Skid Plate to use the factory belly pan holes an be seperate from the crossmember.

How does the above compared to building a 1 piece Belly Pan as the factory planned it? Are there any good ideas for building a 1 piece setup?

Issues that I see include...
1) Should I have 1 centeral tranny mount, or use bushings on the frame sides?
2) If I hard mount the crossmember to the tranny an build bushings into the frame mounting system, how do those handle the twisting of the drive train?
2a) Which direction should I bolt the bushings if I go this route?
3) Bonus to hard mounting the crossmember maybe frame stiffening?
4) If hard mounting crossmember to frame, possible ideas to make it removeable?
5) How much bending required to attach the crossmember to the mid section of the frames rails side?

Again, I am looking for feed back from others experiances on this topic. Pictures would be helpfull.

Thanks, John

XJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634588 YJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3322306
JohnFM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Brown dog 1" MML and a UCF tummy tuck or Kirby and be done....
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
Brown dog 1" MML and a UCF tummy tuck or Kirby and be done....
Brown dog was my choice for the engine lift. I have an interest in trying to build this, I will be sure to look at UCF an Kirby for design insperation.

John
XJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634588 YJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3322306
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you can reverse engineer any of the tummy tuck plates currently on the market then you'll be in great shape.
Unread 11-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is how I did mine.
http://www.mijc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic...a439efd#p11155
Keep in mind I do have a rear wheel base stretch and a high pinion rear end.
Unread 11-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #6
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

ive never really seen the advantage of a completely separate skid and trans mount. i use a ucf aluminum and reworked the stock two piece trans mount into one concise unit that mounts the trans as close to the skid as possible.
Unread 11-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
harleyriderYJ

I noticed my belly pan tranny mounts were like GONE! yesterday as I was inspecting it,got a link to where I can get some for a 91 yj, It looks like 2 in the front of the pan and I gather the one on the back.Havent looked that deep yet. Only had her 2 days with a 7 inch lift supposedly. Done even know what lift was put in it yet. Appears it has a 1.5-2 inch body lift. running 35s right now but there dragging the leaf springs on a tight turn. Newby to jeeps but not 4 wheel drives. Former 1978 dodge ramcharger owner from back in da woods............
harleyriderYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Auto or manual transmission?
4WD.com has them.
Unread 11-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
This is how I did mine.
http://www.mijc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic...a439efd#p11155
Keep in mind I do have a rear wheel base stretch and a high pinion rear end.
Ok, so this is almost exactly what I had in mind.

The question I have regarding your mounting system, since the drive train twist during acceleration I was considering putting one of the mounts vertical so that the the mount would compress lengthwise versus against the side. Have you seen a need for such? I see that you did the 1 inch engine lift, but what ended up being the location of the transfercase?

I like how you repaired the frame nuts. Where did you get those?

Thanks,
John
Unread 11-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
G30SFF250
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is what I did; I don't know if it works or not because I am not done with my swap yet, but you asked.....

I used old motor mounts because that's what I had handy but I ordered new ones for final assembly.

Once I know if it will work I will go back and clean it up. The pics aren't great but I wasn't planning on posting them on the interweb.
Unread 11-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #11
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM3 View Post
Ok, so this is almost exactly what I had in mind.

The question I have regarding your mounting system, since the drive train twist during acceleration I was considering putting one of the mounts vertical so that the the mount would compress lengthwise versus against the side. Have you seen a need for such? I see that you did the 1 inch engine lift, but what ended up being the location of the transfercase?

I like how you repaired the frame nuts. Where did you get those?

Thanks,
John
I got the nutserts from McMaster-Carr. Remember that these only support the skid, not the transmission. If I was going to use it to support the weight of the transmission I would go with the stock nutserts.
There was a guy on another website that did the mounting system that you are describing. I would think it would work as well if not better than the system I am using.
Not sure what you mean by the location of the transfercase?
You mean the angle?
Unread 11-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #12
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a picture of the driveshaft angle.
Remember I have a high pinion rear end and a lengthened wheel base.
I did cut and reweld the spring mounts for the pinion angle.
Unread 11-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

[quote=TSEJEEPERS;14401897]Not sure what you mean by the location of the transfercase?
You mean the angle?[/quoted]

I understand the the nut inserts are only holding a skid plate.

TCase Location: I am speaking of the distance measured from the rear output of the TCase to the body of the jeep. Did you raise the tcase?

John
Unread 11-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30SFF250 View Post
This is what I did; I don't know if it works or not because I am not done with my swap yet, but you asked.....

I used old motor mounts because that's what I had handy but I ordered new ones for final assembly.

Once I know if it will work I will go back and clean it up. The pics aren't great but I wasn't planning on posting them on the interweb.
Ok, that's interesting. I will be interested to hear how the mounts hold up too the heat from the Cat Converter. It is very simple an it looks as if you will have plenty of room to add a skid plate. As asking of TSEJeepers, did this result in lifting your TCase? If so, how much?

As stated in original post, I am seeking to raise my TCase 1 inch.

Thanks,
John
Unread 11-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
G30SFF250
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM3 View Post
Ok, that's interesting. I will be interested to hear how the mounts hold up too the heat from the Cat Converter. It is very simple an it looks as if you will have plenty of room to add a skid plate. As asking of TSEJeepers, did this result in lifting your TCase? If so, how much?

As stated in original post, I am seeking to raise my TCase 1 inch.

Thanks,
John
I took it for the first test drive today, I hit 70 MPH for the first time and it was smooth.

To answer your questions (I hope):
I will change the routing of the exhaust when I change another thing or two so it shouldn't be an issue.

I think the stock skid plate is about 3 1/2" of drop and I raised mine about 3", so yes I raised my TC about 3-4 inches. The reason I didn't go higher is because my TC and driveshaft were hitting the tub. I lowered them down about a half inch and bolted it down.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.