Tranny/ T-case question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tranny/ T-case question

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
hardluk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Tranny/ T-case question

I pulled out my tranny and t-case to do a slave conversion and noticed there is no gasket in the mating surface of the two. Should I rtv it when I put it back together? I called the local auto parts store and they said they don't show a gasket for it but it just seems wired that there isn't one. On the other hand it's never leaked fluid from there.

Also I have ax/5 manual w/ np207
Thx!

hardluk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

no gasket. There should not be any fluid in that area unless the shaft seal is leaking
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
1320yj

There is actually a gasket between the transfer case and the transmission it comes in the transmission overhaul kit. The idea of the gasket is to keep dirt and debris out not to keep fluid in. If you don't have the gasket a bead of RVT silicone will work just as well.
Unread 06-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
hardluk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I put a small bead of rtv on it. After looking at the back side of the tranny I could tell there was a gasket in it at one time. Now on to a new problem I broke the master trying to drill it out to fit my jeep. Guess I'll start another post if I can't fix it.
Unread 06-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

It is true that a gasket is not required between the Tranny and the T case, and in all the tranny rebuild kits I have bought there is indeed a gasket that seems to be for this purpose. In all of the previously unmolested Tranny/T case combos I have pulled, I have never found a gasket or gasket remnants here. On my rebuilds, I never use the gasket, but they could come in handy as a "clocking ring" if anyone ever needs to redrill the extension housing of a tranny to reclock the T case. RTV isn't necessary here either. If you find any fluid between the Tranny and T case, you should replace the seals around the shafts and go from there.

Did you happen to take any photos of what you feel was a gasket remnant on the back of the tranny? I've just never seen one.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
hardluk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry, no I didn't . I was just trying to get it done fast as I could. I just scraped it w/ a putty knife and wiped it clean. I think my jeep may have been molested a few times over. I paid a big tranny shop to replace the slave within the first few weeks of owning it. To my own ignorance I had them put an internal back in..... Live and learn right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.