Tranny/T-Case Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tranny/T-Case Question

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-22-2002, 06:47 PM   #1
bt24drexel

Tranny/T-Case Question

OK, first, I was told the transfer case shift linkage that bolts to the tranny is the same for the 231 mated with the ax-15 and the 207 bolted to the peugot. I had the peugot and 207, replacing the set up with the other combo. Because my new ax-15/231 came from a cherokee (body mounted shifting assy) I cant use the existing linkage. It is what I think is a coincidence that the bolt pattern off of my 87 t-case shifting assy bolted to the 231 t-case. However, the throw is backwards after I hook up the rod from the selector on the tcase, where as before 2 wheel high was in the extreme forward position, it is in the extreme back position. The indexing and difference in shifter travel is not as well defined now either, making 4wd engagement a guessing game. Any ideas? Are they two different assemblies? Would unbolting selector on side of t-case (on really tight) and rotating it all the way around to where I am getting appropriate shifts work? Also, the t-case is out of a 96 cherkee, it has two lines to go to the diff, where as before, I had 4, what do I do, what controls my dash light to indicate 4wd? Also, in this swap, I am aware that I have to modify the skid plate, any exact details or hints on what I need to do to get the mout to botl to my skid plate? Thanks guys

bt24drexel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2002, 08:53 PM   #2
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Wow .. a loaded question!

The best thing to do is to find a YJ from 1992 and steal its front axle vacuum actuator and its 231 shifting setup.

The front diff vacuum actuator controls the 4x4 light on your dash. As long as the actuator moves through its normal path, the switch should work normally and the light should also work normally. If you wish to keep your actuator, you can purchase a cable assembly to do the work of the vacuum and just plug off the vacuum ports on the 231 T-case.

I have a spare T-Case skid-plate .. come on up and get it .. or there are after market ones (I believe that Currie makes one).
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2002, 10:26 PM   #3
bt24drexel

Thanks for the info. I will keep you posted.
bt24drexel is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.