tranny swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tranny swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
chris447
1995 YJ Wrangler 

tranny swap

anyone swap from auto to manual? i need a parts list

chris447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
bsakal
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I did the same swap on mine, when I swapped the entire engine / trans / transfer case from my XJ (which was a stick). If you are just doing the trans you will need:

Clutch kit
Flywheel
Pilot bearing or bushing
Clutch pedal assembly
Clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder
Transfer case for a manual trans
Front and rear driveshafts (on the auto trans, the rear one is longer, the front is shorter)
Correct transmission and t/c mounts
Floor plate for manual trans (or just cut the original one)

On mine, I had to elongate the slots in the transfer case skid plate for the mount. On ebay I found the correct t/c and trans mounting brackets, t/c case shifter, and the floor plate. I installed a SYE in the t/c and bought a Tom Woods CV rear shaft, and the local yard had the correct front shaft. For me, installing the clutch pedal assembly was a PITA. You'll have to remove the steering column and loosen some of the dash to manuever it in and out. The firewall already has a plug bolted in place where the master cylinder goes, just remove it, and install the correct m/c. You also have to ground the center terminal of the trans neutral safety switch so it will start. The outer 2 wires go to the backup switch in the trans.
Unread 02-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
chris447
1995 YJ Wrangler 

so i may be better off just getting a whole engine/tranny?
Unread 02-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris447 View Post
so i may be better off just getting a whole engine/tranny?
probably.

There's all sorts of stuff that might be hard to find otherwise.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
chris447
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ugh JEEPS!!! i was hopin the swap would go more like playin with legos lol. just cut some here and swap it in... il b busy on craigs list for a wrecked one
Unread 02-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
bsakal
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You don't need to get another engine if your is in good condition, but it would be better to get a trans/transfer case together if you can find one. I found a trans-t/c on craigslist when I was doing mine, I would up buying it, then selling it when I used the stuff I already had. If you get a trans from an XJ, the back needs to be re-drilled for the correct t/c clocking (position) in a YJ.
I only did mine because when I bought it, the original 4.2 had a rod knock, and the automatic trans was leaking. Since my XJ had rotted floors, and a good drivetrain, I converted my YJ to a 4.0 injected setup.
Unread 02-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris447 View Post
ugh JEEPS!!! i was hopin the swap would go more like playin with legos lol. just cut some here and swap it in... il b busy on craigs list for a wrecked one
Even something that looks simple, adding the clutch pedal, is more work than you realize.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
Bedlam_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The 'combo kits' are golden if you can find them. I paid $350 for an AX-15 and 231 from a cherokee when my BA-10/5 finally went. Even came with a spare driveshaft I can take to get cut and balanced!

Now if only swapping to auto was as easy as replacing my old BA-10/5 with the AX-15 was.
Bedlam_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.