Tranny swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tranny swap?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Matt24138
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Tranny swap?

I am buying a rebuilt trans. I was reading that I need to replace my clutch if I pull the trans. I just replaced the clutch master and slave. Do I really need to replace it again. My synchros are shot. Do you think it would be cheaper to pull the trans take it to shop have them redo it and put it back in? Or just go rebuilt for 750.00? I wanted to do it myself but I am afraid of all the little parts and getting things mixed up. Pulling and installing I can manage. What do you think? I don't want just a used trans as I don't want to take any chances.

()_) ()_)---)_)
Matt24138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The only reason it reccomended that you replace the clutch at the same time is a matter of convienience. Since your there already might as well do it for a nominal cost. How ever if you just did it and havent smoked it, or put a ton of miles on it, then leave it be. As long as you are replacing the trans with the same model, you will have no reason to replace it.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

call around to independant shops and get price, better than getting some used one i would think? maybe try and fine a tranny mechanic that would come to you (side job) maybe for 2 or 3 hundred and do it and you could assist and learn something new. watched one being rebuilt on horsepower TV a couple of weeks ago they just pull it apart and put back together like legos but yes just get one thing on backwards and your screwed. no need to replace clutch since fairly new.
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
Matt24138
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I called shops and they tell me they will tear it down for 100 bucks but can't tell me an estimate as they don't know what's involved. I don't want them to tear it down call me and say oh it's a 1000.00. So I guess I will go rebuilt for 750.00 and a 2 year warranty. I have only put 100 miles on since the clutch so I should be good there.
()_) ()_)---)_)
Unread 09-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt24138 View Post
I called shops and they tell me they will tear it down for 100 bucks but can't tell me an estimate as they don't know what's involved. I don't want them to tear it down call me and say oh it's a 1000.00. So I guess I will go rebuilt for 750.00 and a 2 year warranty. I have only put 100 miles on since the clutch so I should be good there.
pin them down, ask if just syncros are bad how much.........
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
Matt24138
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Last ? What oil is oem spec for the ax 15 now?
()_) ()_)---)_)
Unread 09-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
traumajunkey
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Rebuild it yourself!!! I just rebuilt mine and had a ball doing it. Learned a lot. I bought a master rebuild kit from Quadra Tech for $350. Had all new bearings, synchros, springs locks ects....Mean Max has a link to download a rebuild maunual for the AX 5/AX 15. This was very thorough. Took me a couple of days with work and life in general. DO IT YOURSELF!!!!! Dry shifted in all gears. According to a lot of people on this site, Including the guru Mean Max, the new oil for an AX 15 is 10W30.

Quote:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside totally worn out and proclaiming "WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

traumajunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.