Tranny problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tranny problem

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
blue_yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Tranny problem

I've recently acquired a 1994 YJ, and a few details on it are 35"BFG MTs, shackle lift, and 4.0HO, with the AX15, NP231.

I am having a major problem, i drive my jeep daily and it recently started within the last month. When you are at a dead stop and put it into reverse it grinds all the way into it, when you sometimes are at a stop light and try and put it into first it wont go and you have to release and push in the clutch, when you are going down the road and are coasting to a stop it makes a clunking noise right under the tub and it wont shift into first or second and grinds into third. When it does shift into first you have to push the clutch, release, push back in and then slam it into first when you try to do it easy it feels like its jumping back and forth and sometimes grinds then goes into gear, then once you hvae it into first you can shift into second. Also when you are in 5th gear all power is lost, and it makes a bad vibration when pushing the clutch in and releasing going into gear and coming out of gear.

what should i do? ive never done anything to the trans and im pretty sure its stock, i replaced all 4 u joints. forgot to mention it only has 108k

blue_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

check your clutch fluid at the master cyl. If its down you have a leak in the system. Also if that is fine change your trans fluid. Use 10w30 motor oil in it.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 04:53 AM   #3
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

^^^ x2 what Mark05059 said. Check the fluid and bleed it. If that doesn't fix it, then I'm guessing the synchros are shot.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
blue_yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks a million guys that did the trick but i only have one more problem, when you shift into 5th it vibrates when you let off the clutch going in and out of gear, what could that be? it also grinds going into third still and you dont even have to push in the clutch to put it in 3rd also grinds into reverse
Shackles with 35s on 15s, SRC bumpers with Hella lights front and back, Windsheild Hella lights, Cadillac seats with Ammo Can console and storage, No cat with Turbo muffler, Rhino lined tub and undercarriage
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'd look at it this way, if the hydraulics are fine now, I would then move onto the oil in the transmission, is it good? Does it need to be changed out? Then after that, I would look at the clutch, is the clutch simply worn out? If not, then I would have to start looking at the transmission itself, if I ruled everything else out, I would then be shopping for a replacement ax15, or rebuild it.
Unread 10-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #6
blue_yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i only changed trans to 10w30 pennzoil... wasnt doing it at first but it isgrinding and is hard at shifting still on occasion. What do i do now?...Iperformed a cluctch test and it was good... whats next guys?
Shackles with 35s on 15s, SRC bumpers with Hella lights front and back, Windsheild Hella lights, Cadillac seats with Ammo Can console and storage, No cat with Turbo muffler, Rhino lined tub and undercarriage
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

it also grinds going into third still and you dont even have to push in the clutch to put it in 3rd also grinds into reverse

change to synthetic oil in the tranny. don't get (you dont even have to push in the clutch to put it in 3rd ) why would you do that? reverse will always grind some, when i start mine and the first thing is to go backwards i always shift into 1st roll a inch or 2 forward then slips right into reverse, common on all sticks
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.