Tranny noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tranny noise

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Tranny noise

Well today my dad asked me to take his jeep for a spin because it was acting weird. It's an 90 yj with the 4.2. The tranny he said has been making an odd noise for a few months just didn't think anything of it. Now when I took it for a drive I noticed it's making a noise at idle in neutral but it stops when you push the clutch in. And its having a hard time going into gear. Have to pump the clutch to get it to go in. He had the clutch and slave changed maybe a year and a half ago so I'm leaning towards the pilot bearing. Am I right.

Sawicki4wd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
Newk76
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If I remember what my husband had said ours was doing right, that's the same thing. We were having trouble w shifting between 3&4th, then he had some noise start as he left work one day. We've done a complete clutch replacement since it all came in the Luk kit. He was told it was the throwout bearing in our case.. of course, we haven't drove it yet so I don't know if that fixed the problem.
Newk76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
cubewhiz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking throwout bearing.
--------
My new Jeep: 95 ZJ with 4.0L I6 (auto trans)
cubewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How hard is it to swap that out. I mean I did a tranny swap in my jeep buys it's the ax5
Unread 08-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
Newk76
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ours has the ax15, my husband & a friend dropped the tranny & switched it out. Took the flywheel in to be resurfaced also while it was all apart. My husband had never done a clutch before, his friend has done a few but never in a jeep. I'd say if you've done a tranny drop before, shouldn't be too hard. One thing they learned the hard way, is that it's easier to put the transmission back up with the transfer case taken off, and it probably would have come out a lot easier that way also. There is a pretty good writeup about the ax15 drop somewhere on the forum, we used it for reference.
Newk76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well I did my ax5 and didn't drop the case. I just wanted one less thing that could go wrong. If it's just as simple I'll be happy
Unread 08-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawicki4wd View Post
Well today my dad asked me to take his jeep for a spin because it was acting weird. It's an 90 yj with the 4.2. The tranny he said has been making an odd noise for a few months just didn't think anything of it. Now when I took it for a drive I noticed it's making a noise at idle in neutral but it stops when you push the clutch in. And its having a hard time going into gear. Have to pump the clutch to get it to go in. He had the clutch and slave changed maybe a year and a half ago so I'm leaning towards the pilot bearing. Am I right.
Could be the pilot bearing. Did they replace that when they did the clutch a year or so ago? If they did, I'd be questioning what kit they used (or your dad is rough on clutches). Pilot bearings are cheap in price, but be sure to check everything while you have the tranny off. Personally, I'd put a new LuK clutch kit in while I had the tranny out. It may or may not be needed, but since its such a PITA to drop the tranny, fix everything you can so you dont have to keep doing it
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure what they did exactly. I know they did a new slave and clutch. He's not looking to keep the jeep much longer. He bought a nice tj. And just kept the yj so he didnt put miles on his new car or his new truck or his newer jeep haha. He just figured I could fix it for him cheap.
Unread 08-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawicki4wd
I'm not sure what they did exactly. I know they did a new slave and clutch. He's not looking to keep the jeep much longer. He bought a nice tj. And just kept the yj so he didnt put miles on his new car or his new truck or his newer jeep haha. He just figured I could fix it for him cheap.
Well, depending on the shop, there's a 50/50 chance they changed the pilot bearing when they did the clutch. My LuK kit came with a newer (and nicer) bearing than what was in it. I'd say if you don't know, then change it and see what happens. Let's hope you get to it before it's caused damage to the clutch itself (unlikely, but anythings possible).

For me, changing the PB, is a PITA, just because you have to drop the T-case & tranny. I only do it when I have no other options and clean it all up while it's out because I hate to take it off anymore than needed. Others may disagree, but that's my .02 worth
Unread 08-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well I'll just change both of them. Which is which tho
Unread 08-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well heres a new symptom. If I put it in first amd have my foot on the clutch it really doesn't want to roll forward. I had a friend push me and he had a real hard time doing it on a very flat road
Unread 08-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawicki4wd
Well heres a new symptom. If I put it in first amd have my foot on the clutch it really doesn't want to roll forward. I had a friend push me and he had a real hard time doing it on a very flat road
If the pilot bearing is shot, it'll keep you from fully engaging the clutch, which would explain why it was "stuck". Check out this article: http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/clutches_etc.htm. It explains various clutch components.

I say change it all out since you have to drop everything. Better to be safe than sorry.
Unread 08-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #13
Quail
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep, Throw out bearing.
You may want to bleed it just to make sure it is getting all the pressure it should before pulling the transmission back
Quail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 11:46 PM   #14
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I'll try bleeding it. It's not grinding so it's not to bad. And I guess my dad said they replaced all the bearings when then did the clutch
Unread 08-27-2011, 07:43 AM   #15
Quail
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah I'll try bleeding it. It's not grinding so it's not to bad. And I guess my dad said they replaced all the bearings when then did the clutch
To be more acurate, I should have said the slave cylinder, but I think the bearing and slave cylinder are a one peice unit in the internal slave AX15s. Im not sure about that.
Quail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.