Tranny leaking?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tranny leaking??

Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
SmokEaterHD
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Tranny leaking??

I seem to have a puddle of tranny fluid under the Jeep after I park it. I have a NV4500 and it's fine if I'm just driving around town, but if I get out on the highway I get a puddle when I get back. I just put a new gasket on the SYE, but haven't touched the transfer case or tranny. It doesn't have many mile on it. Should I just pull it apart and put new gasket on it or is there some kind of overflow I'm not aware of? Thanks!!

SmokEaterHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Where is it leaking from? What color is the fluid? Is it the trans or the Tcase?

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
SmokEaterHD
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It is red fluid. Dripping right below my tranny mount on the skidplate. I can't find the active leak and there is so much splattered under the Jeep from the wind when driving down the road I'm not really sure how to find the right spot. Figured I'd put new gasket on both halves of the transfer case and also probably where the adapter plate is between the tranny and transfer case on both sides.
SmokEaterHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Red is ATF, which means your transfer case is leaking. Clean off the fluid, drive it for a little bit, and try to source the leak.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.