tranny help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tranny help

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
hollybygolly
2005 LJ Wrangler 

tranny help

Well, ill try to give you the run down on whats happened over the past few months...

The snap ring failed early summer and I took it into a 'reputable' tranny shop. They replaced the snap ring and 1 week later... badabing... it went again. I had them weld in the snap ring in place. Ever since I have had a high pitched whine in 5th gear. Nothing terrible... only slightly annoying when I haven't had any coffee. Unfortunately today a terrible growling noise and a horrible vibration accompanied that annoying little whine. it ONLY does it in 5th gear. I would compare the shake to driving down a washboard dirt road and the noise of unevenly warn mud terrain tires. I have barely had my ol betty on the road. If I had to guess maybe 200 miles TOPS since the first visit to the tranny shop... between the tranny, motor rebuild and body repair/new paint job im going out of my mind. She KEEEEEPS breaking on me!! : im at the end of my rope. Anyone have ideas on the tranny????

hollybygolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 05:00 AM   #2
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I know you said it only does it in 5th, but for sh!ts and giggles, have you checked your u-joints?
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
dougbrown
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That what I was thinking was it could be u joints. Did u see where they weld the snap ring? The heat of weld can cause it to brake. Now only the part they weld is still on and what ever it holds, so could be moving a little. I have seen thin small steel brake from heat of welding. A snap ring is sprong steel and should have not been welded on! Bad Idea!
dougbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbrown View Post
That what I was thinking was it could be u joints. Did u see where they weld the snap ring? The heat of weld can cause it to brake. Now only the part they weld is still on and what ever it holds, so could be moving a little. I have seen thin small steel brake from heat of welding. A snap ring is sprong steel and should have not been welded on! Bad Idea!
Real bad idea.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
hollybygolly
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I will try to articulate this the best I can... my second trip back to the tranny shop I was told that some groove was whipped out and could no longer hold the snap ring in place. My options were a new shaft or have this ring welded in place. How bad did I just screw my ol girl up?? Also, the death shake is gone today. The high pitched whine is still there but the horrible vibration and growl is gone....
Unread 09-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
dougbrown
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know how bad u messed it up, but I would go back after the shop for the welding idea. Should have been a new shaft.
Unread 09-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
hollybygolly
2005 LJ Wrangler 

what do you mean 'go after'?? Yes, I agree.. it should have been a new shaft but my life savings was completely drained this year. Couldn't exactly afford a new shaft.. still can't. Its been one of those 'if it can go wrong, it will' kind of year. I just pray that 2012 is better.
Unread 09-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
dougbrown
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would go back to the shop and tell them what it is doing and to fit it right. Not a for now fix. If it was whining from when u picked it up they caused it. They should fix it and the damage welding the snap Ring caused! Nothing agenst you, but I hate it when people that know how to do the right thing just throw a quick patch on it and push you out the door. Just cause it steel and u have a welder that not the awnser!
Unread 09-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
hollybygolly
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I see your point. They replaced the snap ring once and I came back after it failed and asked them to replace it again (I honestly thought it was a faulty snap ring the second time around because I drove it 50 miles max when it went again). I was given 2 options on my second visit.. new shaft or just weld it. The weld was my choice and I have a feeling that they will tell me just that... it was my choice. Dang. But what I don't understand is why would it all of the sudden stop? 5th gear was perfectly fine today. The whine is still there but everything seems normal now
Unread 09-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
dougbrown
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check u joints then?
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
hollybygolly
2005 LJ Wrangler 

No not yet. It's early doe season here
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
dougbrown
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm still waiting for that! But it comming!
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #13
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't see it, but why didn't they take a dremal tool and just cut the channel deeper? There should be plenty of stock there.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.