Trailmaster 3in lift w/Bilstein 5100 shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trailmaster 3in lift w/Bilstein 5100 shocks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
BIGJoe29
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Trailmaster 3in lift w/Bilstein 5100 shocks

i was wondering on getting a 3in lift without shocks on a yj and i was wondering wat would b the best choice. my limit is around 900. i will be buying Bilstein 5100 shocks because i have heard good things about them. any recommendations will be helpful. the sites i can get them off of wuld be helpful too. i will b getting 15x7in rims on 31x10.5 or 31x12.5 tires with 1in wheel spacers if that helps.

BIGJoe29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
Jakes89Wrangler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

12.5 inch tires are to wide for 7 inch rims, minimum is 8 to be safe. Buying different rims with the right backspacing would solve your wheel spacer problem.
Jakes89Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
BIGJoe29
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thnx. i was mainly inquiring on the lift and shocks. do you have an opinion on those?
Unread 10-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
yjgrillin
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have 31'' bfg a/t's on mine stock, I feel like a 3.5'' lift would be overkill for 31's. I only hit the fenders at full flex and only at full lock when turning- stock wheels with their ungodly backspacing. If you really want the lift, I'd say look for 33s, or stay stock and run the 31s until you can do everything at once.
yjgrillin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
BIGJoe29
1990 YJ Wrangler 

its just a 3in lift. i kno 3.5in lift wuld b WAY overkill
Unread 10-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJoe29 View Post
its just a 3in lift. i kno 3.5in lift wuld b WAY overkill
Im just going to put this out here, but a 3" lift on 31x10.5's is overkill too. You're going to have a ton of space between the top of your tire and the bottom of your fender. You wont have to worry about rubbing at full flex, that's for sure, but for aesthetic reasons, 3" lift with those tires are not going to look that great, just FYI. Trust me, the PO of mine put a 3" or so body lift on my jeep. I dislike it very much and plan to do a 2" suspension lift ASAP.

If your rim is going to be 15x7, do not get the 31x12.5's, it wont work. Also, buying a 5100 series bilstein for a 31" tire is a waste of money. You can outfit your entire jeep with, say, Monroe's, for the price of one of those. Unless you were going larger (33" max, according to bilstein), there is absolutely no reason to get those. 31" tires arent that much larger than stock tires, so buy a good shock, but dont waste your hard earned cash on overkilled shocks. Trust me, I have 31x10.5's on my jeep. I will be going to a 33 or 35 in the future...Ive done a lot of research on shocks, lifts, etc.

Plus, as a side note, if you go 3" or more, you may need to do a lot of other work to your jeep (tcase drop, sye/cv drivshaft, drop pitman arm, etc). You'll need all the extra cash you can get...its the little things that get you when you start wanting to lift over 2.5".
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
BIGJoe29
1990 YJ Wrangler 

so if i get a 2.5 in lift i wont have to add any of the extra parts u mentioned?
Unread 10-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
BIGJoe29
1990 YJ Wrangler 

now i took your advice and i was wondering what would be better a Rubicon Express 2.5" Standard Suspension System with Twin Tube Shocks or an Old Man Emu 2.5" Suspension System?
Unread 10-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
BIGJoe29
1990 YJ Wrangler 

or a Pro Comp Stage I 2.5" Suspension Lift Kit?
Unread 10-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #10
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJoe29
so if i get a 2.5 in lift i wont have to add any of the extra parts u mentioned?
No, usually 2.5" or less and you don't have to do any of that stuff. I have heard that rubicon express is good. I've also heard good things about old man emu. Personally, I plan to buy my lift components from BDS suspensions. It's also advisable to piece it together rather than buy a kit. Retailers charge a ton for their kits...more than they should really.

Tags
jeep , shock , suspension lift , wrangler , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.