Trail Damage...AM/FM Radio Antenna Mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trail Damage...AM/FM Radio Antenna Mount

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Trail Damage...AM/FM Radio Antenna Mount

A tree rubbed up against my Jeep on Sunday, and broke off my radio antenna. I thought it would be an easy replacement, but it's not

I can't find the type of mount that I broke:

This is all I can find:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_5100.htm

This would require me to drill three holes in my fender, which seems unnecessary. Any ideas?

HELP!!!

ps: As a side note, I brushed the tree after making a climb that the JKU couldn't make. His JKU had big tires, rock rails and nice bumpers, but he forgot to install lockers
I was at Bridgeport OHV Park in North Texas:
http://www.cityofbridgeport.net/index.aspx?nid=322

Unread 06-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Weird.

The mount in your picture is the stock one for me. I bought one similar to yours from Autozone. It was a generic one on the shelf.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a 95? They used all sorts of odd parts that model year. If its a factory part then that's the third style I have seen on a yj. The one you found available is the common one. You might want to send a picture of it to jwjeep.com and see if they have one if you can't find it local.

Checked your profile and got my answer. My guess is Chrysler ran out of parts and sent a guy to autozone to fill orders.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I put an antenna from a 95 on my 90 and it works great. I had to drill the holes for the 3 mounting screws. It was pretty easy and I had no issues at all.
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That is an aftermarket antenna.
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post

This would require me to drill three holes in my fender, which seems unnecessary. Any ideas?

http://www.cityofbridgeport.net/index.aspx?nid=322
I am puzzled why, after the tree did that much customization, you hesitate to drill 3 holes? I would recommend you go to your local Pep Boys and grab whatever aftermarket seems doable.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

my jeep has the same one. got the replacement at advanced auto. it was an exact match and cheap.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
That is an aftermarket antenna.
X2 that is a universal antenna , I have the Style you found on my 89 and I had it on my 95 also
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help!

It does seem to be a universal antenna, so it was probably replaced at some point. The manufacturer is Metra. My broken antenna was basically identical to a 44-US-13 except for color. Found it at Autozone
http://www.metraonline.com/part/Afte...ntenna_44-US13

Now the hard work begins - any tips on replacing the antenna mount and reattaching the cable to the radio or is it pretty straight forward? BTW, I have AC, which makes the back of the radio somewhat inaccessible...
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same one on my '88 and just had to replace my antenna as well..pretty east to do. just take that exposed screw in the broken base out, while holding the part that's inside the tub from spinning

as far as the wiring goes, I guess it all depends on what the PO has done with the radio/wiring. my antenna's wire went from the back of the radio then run along the lower lip of the dash and under the glove box then over to the to the base, so it was pretty easy to R/R
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #11
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I know this is an old thread but I was trying to find out how to replace my antenna like the one that StanF broke off. So I took some pics along the way that I hope help others. The part rounded ball part attaches to the base. 1. To get the antenna off I used a sawzall that left me with the exposed base like your pictures.
antpreremoval.jpg

antout.jpg

IA93Javert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #12
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

2. The interior connection pieces are crap and I was able to flex the antenna connection back and forth until it snapped the screw.
3. Popped out the remaining plastic piece and a nice clean hole was left.
4. Installing the Omix-Ada 17213.02 Antenna Base (yes, drilling three holes)
5. Adding AntennaX Off-Road (13-inch) Antenna for (87 thru 06) Jeep Wrangler
At this gets you to the starting point next options are yours for what you want to do.

You could put a badge over the hole an relocate the antenna at this point.
antinside.jpg   antpostout.jpg  
antout.jpg

antoutholeout.jpg

antoutholeoutin.jpg

IA93Javert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.