Tps sensor out of adjustment code 24 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tps sensor out of adjustment code 24

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
Kennerd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Tps sensor out of adjustment code 24

Hi there, have been reading threads on this site for a long time and have had good success, most are very helpful. So I have 95 yj 4.0 I just took the throttle body off and gave it a good cleaning, as well as the ics put it all back together and checked the codes for good measure and got code 24. I have been getting terrible gas for awhile now but haven't had a check engine light on and still don't. It's only when I check codes that it comes up. Jeep has 113,000 newer plugs distributer cap rotor and wires. The code wasn't there until after I took it apart and put back together. Any suggestions

Kennerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennerd View Post
Hi there, have been reading threads on this site for a long time and have had good success, most are very helpful. So I have 95 yj 4.0 I just took the throttle body off and gave it a good cleaning, as well as the ics put it all back together and checked the codes for good measure and got code 24. I have been getting terrible gas for awhile now but haven't had a check engine light on and still don't. It's only when I check codes that it comes up. Jeep has 113,000 newer plugs distributer cap rotor and wires. The code wasn't there until after I took it apart and put back together. Any suggestions
The TPS receives 5 volts on A VIOLET/WHITE wire from pin #5 of the PCM. It sends back 1-4 volts on ORANGE/DARK BLUE wire to pin #22 of the PCM. The BLACK/LIGHT BLUE wire is the ground which goes to pin #4 of the PCM.
Multimeter time!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2014, 01:20 AM   #3
Kennerd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I checked it out and what I'm getting is 5 on the dot for the violet/ white and the orange/ blue is giving me a smidg over 1. What's that telling us? This was without the jeep running and the key just turned to the on position. Also took the reading without it plugged in and got the same numbers. Along with the same problems listed above the jeep at no givin time will rev up an addition 1000 rpm. This has no rhyme or reason to it, it just does it randomly.
Unread 06-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well I checked it out and what I'm getting is 5 on the dot for the violet/ white and the orange/ blue is giving me a smidg over 1. What's that telling us? This was without the jeep running and the key just turned to the on position. Also took the reading without it plugged in and got the same numbers. Along with the same problems listed above the jeep at no givin time will rev up an addition 1000 rpm. This has no rhyme or reason to it, it just does it randomly.
Move the throttle linkage which in turn moves the TPS. The voltage should change from 1-4 volts if it doesn't you may have a bad TPS

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 06-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
Kennerd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Very sorry for the delay on the response, been very busy at work. Anyways checked the readings and it does jump to four when throttle is opened. What next?
Unread 06-06-2014, 06:10 AM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Even though you are getting what seems to be proper voltage variations when the throttle is moved I would change the TPS because of the bad gas mileage issue being present also.

I would also check for a loose throttle body, exhaust manifold or cracked exhaust pipe at any point before the O2 sensor. Any type of leak that allow air into the exhaust system can cause bad fuel mileage also.

Unread 06-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
Kennerd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The manifold was cracked and I replaced it a couple months back. The jeep failed smog miserably, had nox thru the roof 1600+. I replaced cat and had a bad pcv valve. After that jeep passed like a brand new car. Throttle body has new gasket and is on securely. I will go ahead and replace the tps today and see if anything improves over the next few days. Another thing iv noticed is that I'm getting a black ring around the tip of my exhaust. I seem to of notices that around the same time the has mileage dropped.
Unread 06-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
Kennerd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

^ gas mileage dropped
Unread 06-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure you disconnect the battery to clear the codes. To check a tps you check the resistance across it or the voltage out to make sure there are no flat spots and it transitions smooth. Since it happened when you cleaned the throttlebody have you checked to make sure all the vacuum lines are where they need to be? The map and tps work together.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
Kennerd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Tps has smooth transition from 1 to 4 when opened slowly no drops spikes or flat spots. There are no vacuum hoses connected to the throttle body just the two sensors. Battery was disconnected during cleaning, and after I got the code I disconnected again and have the same code. It seems to rev more often now then before. No check engine light just the code
Unread 06-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Replace the sensor. Any vacuum line off will cause an issue. The Map is measuring the vacuum and the tps voltage is input and compared to the Map readings. If they don't match you get the map or tps code.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.