TPS Maybe? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TPS Maybe?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #46
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like some transmission work is needed. The clutch would slip in any gear not just the higher gears. You may have broken gears in the trans. It's a manual so a lot simpler than automatics, open her up and take a look.

XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #47
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
Sounds like some transmission work is needed. The clutch would slip in any gear not just the higher gears. You may have broken gears in the trans. It's a manual so a lot simpler than automatics, open her up and take a look.
This is my thought but some disagree. Which I am fine with I would just like to know why it would be different for different gears since all the clutch does is mechanically connect the engine to the trans regaurdless of gear.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #48
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Different gears is the key, same clutch so take it out of the equation. The clutch will act the same regardless of what gear you are in. If you look at an exploded diagram of any manual transmission you will see several different gears "stacked" together. When you move the shifter into a different position you are engaging different gears. I had a Firebird in which 4th gear was out. All the other gears worked great. When I finally took the transmission apart there were several teeth broken off the fourth gear.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #49
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
Different gears is the key, same clutch so take it out of the equation. The clutch will act the same regardless of what gear you are in. If you look at an exploded diagram of any manual transmission you will see several different gears "stacked" together. When you move the shifter into a different position you are engaging different gears. I had a Firebird in which 4th gear was out. All the other gears worked great. When I finally took the transmission apart there were several teeth broken off the fourth gear.
I agree with this conclusion. The clutch engauges the same regaurdless of gear. What it sounds like happened is the bearings on the main shaft or counter shaft inside the trans are gone. It gives just enough play for the gears to not engauge. It explain some gears not working(The bearings at one end went) and then none working(the bearings at the other end went) Have you ever got water in the trans OP.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 08-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #50
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I'm well into the Tran removal. One quick question. Do I remove the exterior clutch cylinder attached to the Trans or undue the line coming from the upper fill reservoir that attaches to that exterior cylinder (sorry I'm not sure which one is called the slave and the master)?
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #51
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
I agree with this conclusion. The clutch engauges the same regaurdless of gear. What it sounds like happened is the bearings on the main shaft or counter shaft inside the trans are gone. It gives just enough play for the gears to not engauge. It explain some gears not working(The bearings at one end went) and then none working(the bearings at the other end went) Have you ever got water in the trans OP.
My neighbor (same guy who helped me push the jeep into the garage today) claims he knows how to rebuild a Trans. So I'm going to have him look at it while it's out and I will replace the clutch regardless, but I will also replace anything else that looks out of sorts. I will also post pics here so you guys can look at it and tell me what you think.
Unread 08-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #52
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper View Post

My neighbor (same guy who helped me push the jeep into the garage today) claims he knows how to rebuild a Trans. So I'm going to have him look at it while it's out and I will replace the clutch regardless, but I will also replace anything else that looks out of sorts. I will also post pics here so you guys can look at it and tell me what you think.
Be carful of people that claim they know how to do this. Play dumb and ask questions anout it to see what he really knows

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

Unread 08-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #53
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here's the first casualty. I snapped the Shifter knob while trying to wrench it off. That sucker was STUCK. Oh well if that's all that goes wrong I will be in good shape.

Unread 08-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #54
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I don't have it all the way down yet, but just looking at what is behind the plate, it looks like a Mouse decided to make the bellhouse its home. There is also some mouse packing back where the Slave Cylinder goes into it, so I can only imagine the extent of the mouse damage at this point. Heres a pic:

Unread 08-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #55
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

More pics:

You can see the mouse packings in there.

More mouse packing in the clutch teeth:

Unread 08-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #56
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That's incredible!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #57
ktw23
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Bet that mouse got nice and warm in there
Just Empty Every Pocket
ktw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #58
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the old clutch taken apart. You can't really tell from the picture, but the teeth on the clutch wheel are flat, whereas on the new one they stick up a good bit.

The flywheel is actually in good shape, but It's only $40 for a new one using the Advanced Auto 40% code so I'm gonna replace it.

Unread 08-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #59
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just an update. It was the clutch. The jeep now runs fine in all gears. My guess is that at first it ran in 1st and 2nd because there is less friction needed to make the clutch engage in those gears, but once it got up to higher speeds it couldn't catch anymore.
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #60
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper
Just an update. It was the clutch. The jeep now runs fine in all gears. My guess is that at first it ran in 1st and 2nd because there is less friction needed to make the clutch engage in those gears, but once it got up to higher speeds it couldn't catch anymore.
Perfect example of it not always being the expensive stuff! Right on, great to hear!

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.