JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   TPS Maybe? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tps-maybe-1563919/)

scraper 08-18-2013 01:01 PM

TPS Maybe?

Ok so my 95 2.5L accelerates just fine in 1st and 2nd gear, but anything 3 and over and it just does not accelerate at all. If I mash on the peddle the engine revs up but I don't get added speed. Does this sound like a throttle position sensor or something worse? I should add that my speedometer and Tach aren't working either (but they haven't worked for a while).

scraper 08-18-2013 01:32 PM

After thinking about it I suppose it could be a clogged Cat. I do have a spare one sitting around but its from a 90 4.0 Cherokee. Would that work in my 2.5L engine?

bigbossd1030 08-18-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scraper
After thinking about it I suppose it could be a clogged Cat. I do have a spare one sitting around but its from a 90 4.0 Cherokee. Would that work in my 2.5L engine?

As long as the pipe is the same size it will fit right in. But, I would bet clogged cat as well. Just pull the cat out for a quick test drive and see if she gets some power back. If it does, put a new one in.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.

Que89YJ 08-19-2013 07:34 AM

Always start by checking codes:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...codes-1257145/

scraper 08-19-2013 06:35 PM

I took the Cat off, and ran it without it and that wasn't the problem.

Next I installed a new distributor cap and rotor. That wasn't the problem.

I ran a comp error check, the usual 12 and 33 came back to me, which as I understand it doesn't mean anything for my YJ, but I also got a 21, which is the oxygen sensor. I know it is broken and it's not even plugged in, but that shouldn't be what's causing the problem.

I know the fuel pressure is good.

Any other thoughts?

Que89YJ 08-19-2013 08:52 PM

Wrong. O2 sensor and temp sensor set your air fuel. Fix the sensor.

bigbossd1030 08-19-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Que89YJ
Wrong. O2 sensor and temp sensor set your air fuel. Fix the sensor.

X2
That should have been mentioned right off the bat lol. Could be your problem.

scraper 08-20-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scraper (Post 15813115)
I took the Cat off, and ran it without it and that wasn't the problem.

Next I installed a new distributor cap and rotor. That wasn't the problem.

I ran a comp error check, the usual 12 and 33 came back to me, which as I understand it doesn't mean anything for my YJ, but I also got a 21, which is the oxygen sensor. I know it is broken and it's not even plugged in, but that shouldn't be what's causing the problem.

I know the fuel pressure is good.

Any other thoughts?

I want to be clear on this. The oxygen sensor that is bad is the downstream one between the cat and the exhaust manifold. Would that cause this problem.

Either way I bought a new one to replace it, I will throw it in after I get home from work, but I'm still brain storming other things that it could be.

bigbossd1030 08-20-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scraper

I want to be clear on this. The oxygen sensor that is bad is the downstream one between the cat and the exhaust manifold. Would that cause this problem.

Either way I bought a new one to replace it, I will throw it in after I get home from work, but I'm still brain storming other things that it could be.

There is no downstream one. Only an upstream one. This one effects the mixture directly. You have only one o2 sensor.

scraper 08-20-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 (Post 15814708)
There is no downstream one. Only an upstream one. This one effects the mixture directly. You have only one o2 sensor.

Hm I'll have to look at it again when I get home. The one I thought was broken plugs directly into the exhaust right after the manifold. But maybe I was looking at it wrong. being upside down and all. Even if it's not the one I was thinking of the comp told me oxygen sensor problem so it can't hurt to replace it.

Que89YJ 08-20-2013 08:03 AM

While you are under the hood check for any cracks in the manifold and loose bolts. It allows air in and will cause the o2 fault. It sounds like you are on the right path.

hotcobra03 08-20-2013 09:03 AM

im working on my sons 89 jeep now,,same issue..

i had attached a vacuum guage to vac hose for heater minus check valve,

I have low vacuum,the intake gasket was done already,im running straight pipe to rule out cat and muffler.

im going to check valve timing next.

I had found tps bad with a multi meter..just wasnt my issue.

Que89YJ 08-20-2013 10:28 AM

Is the 89 a 2.5 or a 4.2L?

Siva283 08-20-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scraper (Post 15808086)
Ok so my 95 2.5L accelerates just fine in 1st and 2nd gear, but anything 3 and over and it just does not accelerate at all. If I mash on the peddle the engine revs up but I don't get added speed. Does this sound like a throttle position sensor or something worse? I should add that my speedometer and Tach aren't working either (but they haven't worked for a while).

See the bolded text. You have a manual transmission. The only way for the engine to REV UP without added speed would be a bad trans or clutch or you are shifting it into neutral. Your engine and trans are directly linked mechanically. So it cant REV up without the trans spinning faster. An automatic however can due to the torque converter.

XJ93 08-20-2013 02:17 PM

Good catch Siva

The time now is 06:05 PM.