Towing the yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Towing the yj

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #1
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Towing the yj

I've heard that towing can damage gears as the pinion works into the backside of the ring teeth. I tow my jeep everywhere now - no trailer yet. Is this right or is it a complete fantasy designed by my zukie fondling brother to make me question my process?

Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

never heard of a problem like that in 30 years.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Assuming it is stock, you can flat tow it (4 wheels on ground) with transfer case in neutral and transmission in 5th gear. Have it in 2wd, then turn it off, then put the transfer case in neutral. Then put it in 5th gear and start it to make sure the transfer case is really in neutral. Make sure the steering is unlocked. Then tow away.

Don't listen to the people who say you have to unhook drive shafts, it isn't necessary.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 01:34 AM   #4
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It is necessary to unhook the shafts if you are running full time lockers in the axles. I have an ARB out back but I always unhook the shaft for the rear anyway.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 05:47 AM   #5
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
It is necessary to unhook the shafts if you are running full time lockers in the axles. I have an ARB out back but I always unhook the shaft for the rear anyway.
I recently put in a true neutral plate from a '97-99 TJ or XJ. It disengages everything unlike the stock mode selector plate.

OP, listen to these jeep guys and not your Zuki brother.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Dumb newbie question, why tranny in 5th and not neutral?
Unread 03-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf
Dumb newbie question, why tranny in 5th and not neutral?
The oil slinger in the tcase rotates enough to turn the output shaft in the transmission which is lubricated when the input shaft spins from the engine running. Putting the transmission in 5th holds the gears still keeping the trans bearings safe.

5th gear is used *incase* the tcase slips into gear, so hwy speeds won't do as much damage to your engine and transmission.

Help our dog Bo! https://fundly.com/give-bo-a-chance
Michaelgoesrawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #8
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Whoa - I hate to admit I've towed it 3 times by just putting it in neutral. Thanks for the advice guys.
Unread 03-21-2014, 12:06 AM   #9
n9oig
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've got well over 150,000 on my grand Cherokee of just being towed behind trucks busses and rvs transfer case in N transmission in park.
n9oig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #10
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I recently put in a true neutral plate from a '97-99 TJ or XJ. It disengages everything unlike the stock mode selector plate.

OP, listen to these jeep guys and not your Zuki brother.
The "true" neutral shifter in the transfer case is needed only if you have solid axles in the front diff. If you have the CAD in the front diff you're ok to tow with driveshafts in.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.