Towing Capacity - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Towing Capacity

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
lisamichelle
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Towing Capacity

Hello, im wonding if anybody knows the towing capacity of a 1987 jeep wrangler, automatic, 4.2 L, 6 cylinder.

lisamichelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
bracs4
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ive towed both my wave runners and and empty car hauler used to hual the jeep but i too am wondering how far i can push it before i break something
bracs4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Officially, YJ's have a 1 ton towing capacity (From the Stock Specs sticky).

A vehicle such as the YJ with short, kinda narrow wheelbase, with crappy factory brakes, and underpowered engines really don't lend themselves to towing much at all. Towing capacity increases slightly with a brake controller, but only if your YJ can get it going.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I wouldn't pull much more than a quad trailer (4x8 or so) with two atvs on it. Especially lifted on 35s.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

2000 lbs is max. If you look at your hitch it may be less. The rear frame cross member is pretty light on the Yj. If your hitch is part of your bumper 2000 lbs may be a high number.

My Yj is all beefed up in the back with a very strong hitch. I recently pulled a 6 x 12 trailer empty and it was a bear to pull. BUT, the biggest thing to worry about as far as towing is stopping. Our Yjs brakes suck without pulling a trailer. With a trailer you need allot of road to stop.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
bracs4
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ya my car hualer has surge brakes and is a twin axle so its a good size trailor how ever the twin axles make it a well balanced trralor so
Unread 07-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
pryde551
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Empty car trailer is fine (maybe a few pieces of furniture for moving), but don't put a car on it. You will have problems. That thing will push you around like crazy even when you're not braking.
[CENTER][COLOR="Silver"]Colorado Jeep Member #155[/COLOR][/CENTER]
pryde551 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't tow a power wheels with a Wrangler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
lisamichelle
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well now im worried lol. I got a 6x12 trailer, which was fine to pull empty, but my bf wants to put a side by side on it (Rhino) which will make it close to 2000 pounds, sounds sketchy lol
Unread 07-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
djsrtr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

not sure about the 87, but the owners manual for an 88 gives 2000 as max. does not mention brakes but they wouldn't hurt.
djsrtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i have hauled concrete and roofing shingles on mine and it sat the back on teh ground. i mean i had the trailer really loaded and to much on the tongue because my kids were throwing shingles in it also. i probably had that 2k limit pushed and the jeep was ok stopping and starting but since it tongue loaded, the trailer kept trying to steer. i think as long as you load balanced and are careful on your stopping room, you'll be fine with the rhino on it.

i actually haul lots of stuff with my trailer and jeep but i never weighed any of it. as long as you are smart about how you load and drive, you should be fine.
Unread 07-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #12
bikerdude
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have pulled trailers with 2 quads on it and I have pulled my 2300 lb popup camper also. One of the trailers would weave with 2 quads because it was an old trailer and had some play in a few key places. I would say go ahead and pull this, but the first time out be very aware until you know how it pulls. How your Rhino is loaded will also have an effect on how it trails. With about 2000 lbs total you want to keep the Rhino slightly ahead of center so you have about 100 to 150 lbs of tongue weight. A perfectly balanced, or worse yet, rear weighted trailer will pull like crapola. Try it out on a lightly travelled road at a safe speed and see what you have.

Just looked it up and the "experts" recommend 9-15% of gross trailer weight for tongue weight. If you are indeed at 2000lbs, 10% would be 200 lbs so my first statement was a little light.
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
bracs4
1990 YJ Wrangler 

id load it up and then take it for a pull around the block or around your house and see how the jeep handles.
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #14
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i pulled a 8'x6' dump trailer (2000lbs) with just about 2000 lbs of rock in it. On the scale leaving the rock plant, i was at 4147lbs. i still have my weight ticket. I also have trailor brakes wired into my jeep... idk why but it was there when i bought it so i use it

BUT i also have replaced the rear factory 'tin' cross member and have a built in hitch into my bumper and into the rear 2x4 x 3/16 that i replaced the factory 'tin' with...
Unread 07-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
lisamichelle
1987 YJ Wrangler 

thanks guys! good tips. we took it out yesterday and it was fine, the rhino was loaded properly and it wasnt hard on the engine, steering was fine and so was breaking. so all good. ill still be careful driving it tho and take it easy just in case lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.