tow strap / recovery strap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tow strap / recovery strap

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
mbates96
1989 YJ Wrangler 

tow strap / recovery strap

So I did a little off roading last night and got a little stuck. had a blast loved every minute of it. we had to go get my buddys truck and tow strap. Got me thinking...hey i need one of those. What all should I look for in a strap? A bag? Safety Hooks on it? Certain ply or length? I do have two D rings on the rear bumper but still have the stock bumper if that makes a difference.

mbates96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do not buy one with hooks. They become dangerous projectiles when the strap snaps.

Pick up a decent one, I'm partial to a nice solid 3" wide strap. I used to buy walmart straps like they were goin out of style.. I could snap those pretty easily.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You should get a strap rated for around 20K lbs with loops on each end. It should be a 2" strap. When you get any wider (3"+) you loose elasticity and its effectiveness diminishes because it's rated for much heavier loads.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
MDCustom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Where is a good place to pick one up?
MDCustom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
mbates96
1989 YJ Wrangler 

well based off what people are saying I'm thinking this:

http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-CC220-20-Recovery-Strap/dp/B001CF4UWG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2CY1NPS155BZ0&colid=22YDBZEOUIC87
mbates96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

check out winchline.com. They have a good selection and are great to work with. They have any recovery gear you could need. I bought their winch recovery kit and I'm very happy with it.

Here's a link.

http://www.winchline.com/recovery-kits.html
scifone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #7
liftedyj91

1991 YJ Wrangler 

get an orange arb snatch strap. 60 bucks. i promise it will be the best money u ever spend on your jeep. you hook it up, haul a$$ and the kinetic energy from the yank will "snatch" you right out. best part is, its smooth and doesnt feel like you jeep just got ripped in half.. picked mine up at qtec
liftedyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 04:16 AM   #8
Tongie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifone View Post
check out winchline.com. They have a good selection and are great to work with. They have any recovery gear you could need. I bought their winch recovery kit and I'm very happy with it.

Here's a link.

http://www.winchline.com/recovery-kits.html
And you need it almost every time you go wheeling, lol
Tongie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongie View Post
And you need it almost every time you go wheeling, lol
What's the point of having it if you don't use it?
scifone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
MDCustom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedyj91 View Post
get an orange arb snatch strap. 60 bucks. i promise it will be the best money u ever spend on your jeep. you hook it up, haul a$$ and the kinetic energy from the yank will "snatch" you right out. best part is, its smooth and doesnt feel like you jeep just got ripped in half.. picked mine up at qtec
This looks like the one I would want. I don't go off-road much-YET! I will check around locally first. I live in Canada and most of the time shipping can get expensive. Thanks for all the great ideas, though.

When I finally get around to putting a winch onboard, I will lok into the full recovery kit.
MDCustom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

tractor supply has some pretty nice straps. I have a nice 3" 30ft that ive used about 1000 times. Ive had it 2 years, and never had a problem with it. I wash it every time i use it, so it lasts alot longer.
Unread 12-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #12
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity
You should get a strap rated for around 20K lbs with loops on each end. It should be a 2" strap. When you get any wider (3"+) you loose elasticity and its effectiveness diminishes because it's rated for much heavier loads.
Never heard anything like that. My straps are rates at 30k. Used for heavy construction cranes and loaders.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

$20 at 4wheelparts for the smittybilt brand. They work!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.