JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Tow/recovery hook installation write-up (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tow-recovery-hook-installation-write-up-871955/)

Mean Max 10-04-2009 05:13 PM

Tow/recovery hook installation write-up

Okay, so I had no tow/recovery hooks on the front of my '91 YJ, so anytime I got stuck it was a pain to find a decent place to hook up a strap. The other day I bought 2 of these Reese brand tow hooks from Tractor Supply Company for $11.99 each. They're rated at 10,000 lbs. each, so I figure I'll have to be stuck really bad in order to break them!

They came with this 1/2" grade 5 hardware, so I upgraded to 1/2" grade 8 hardware when I installed them. The factory bumper bolts are #55 Torx fasteners with 1/2 threads.

I bolted them up to the factory bumper bolt location, and this put the 2nd bolt directly above the pipe shaped front crossmember.

I used the hole in the tow hook as a drill guide & drilled a 1/2" hole through the frame rail and pipe. I then used the new grade 8 hardware to install them. I put a 1/2" flat washer between the tow hook's rearward hole & frame to act as a shim. This allowed it to sit flush with the bumper.

I also used flat washers under the bolt heads for a more "finished" look.

Now I'm ready to get stuck! :thumbsup:

Max :cheers2:

Tompatt 10-04-2009 05:36 PM

nice write-up.. dude u got TOO much time on your hands. haha. :cheers:

pasinbuy 10-04-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tompatt (Post 8044479)

Whatever!

Very cool write up. Good idea for a emergency. Thanks

rustywrangler 10-04-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tompatt (Post 8044479)

Dude, get some new bumpers :cheers2:

Tompatt 10-04-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustywrangler (Post 8045189)
Dude, get some new bumpers :cheers2:

why? ha. :confused:

Fernando 10-05-2009 08:39 AM

Hi Max

Very nice job!

Where did u buy those hooks? I'd like to do this on mine...

Plato2k5 10-05-2009 09:21 AM

now you just need some hooks on the back.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39...5/IMG_1797.jpg

Take two and put them in the receiver with a bolt. Works awesome!!

jbolty 10-05-2009 09:25 AM

I'm confused. Every YJ I have ever seen already has two threaded holes on each side for the hooks, even if it did not come with any.

FYI. late model chevy and gmc pickup tow hooks have the same bolt pattern.

bigh20rnr 10-05-2009 10:27 AM

Hey Max,
Looks good!

Rick

Mean Max 10-05-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 8048017)
I'm confused. Every YJ I have ever seen already has two threaded holes on each side for the hooks, even if it did not come with any.

FYI. late model chevy and gmc pickup tow hooks have the same bolt pattern.

Actually, the YJ threaded holes are not on the sides, but they're on the top and they use the bumper bolt (like I used) and another bolt farther back. The TJ uses holes closer together like the hooks I used. That's why most tow hooks for YJ & TJ applications have 3 holes.

Original Replacement Parts 11236.02 - Tow Hook with Clip in Black for 76-95 Jeep® CJ & Wrangler YJ - Quadratec

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/736.pdf

But those are more expensive (okay, only by a dollar) plus there's shipping involved, and most of them are rated at 5,000 lbs.

I just did mine this way for a few reasons:
1) It was cheap
2) It was convenient
3) They're rated at 10,000 lbs. each
4) I like the appearance of not having an un-used hole in the "direct-fit" hooks

I figured that as long as I was wrenching on the heep, I might as well snap a few pics & do a short write-up. My hope is that someone else will get the motivation to add some recovery points to their Jeep, if they currently don't have any.

Not to mention the most important reason, I'm an attention whore. ;)

jgillespie 10-05-2009 10:45 AM

and they even have your name on the side of them man! maxload 10000

:cheers2:

jbolty 10-05-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Max (Post 8048370)
Actually, the YJ threaded holes are not on the sides, but they're on the top and they use the bumper bolt (like I used) and another bolt farther back. The TJ uses holes closer together like the hooks I used. That's why most tow hooks for YJ & TJ applications have 3 holes.

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/736.pdf
[/CENTER]

But those are more expensive (okay, only by a dollar) plus there's shipping involved, and most of them are rated at 5,000 lbs.

I just did mine this way for a few reasons:
1) It was cheap
2) It was convenient
3) They're rated at 10,000 lbs. each
4) I like the appearance of not having an un-used hole in the "direct-fit" hooks

I figured that as long as I was wrenching on the heep, I might as well snap a few pics & do a short write-up. My hope is that someone else will get the motivation to add some recovery points to their Jeep, if they currently don't have any.

Not to mention the most important reason, I'm an attention whore. ;)

Right, on top sharing the bumper bolt and another on further back.

Keep up the good work. I always forget to take pictures til 3/4 of the way thru most projects.

Sambox 10-05-2009 11:06 AM

The question I have is how you got the factory Torx fasteners off in the first place!

SeanMo 10-05-2009 12:57 PM

Good job. I also like your Jeep's black eyes. Cool:thumbsup:

rustywrangler 10-05-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambox (Post 8048506)
The question I have is how you got the factory Torx fasteners off in the first place!

Torx bits, Weld on a nut, grind off two flat sides to get a wrench on it among other options.

The time now is 04:00 AM.