Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tow Point....

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  TellyDSP 
#1 ·
There is probably an obvious solution, but I can't think of a it: I don't have a receiver hitch on the back of my YJ, so, where would be an acceptable "towing point", if I need to be towed out of snow/mud from the rear? The bumperettes seem way too flimsy for such a task.

#2 ·
You need to get some sort of mounting plate that bolts to where those bumper craps go so you can get a shackle in there. I have seen them before and I know someone that has it.

I am sure someone will have a link for you. I just cant find one... :wave:

#4 ·
RyanE5 said:
These are what I use too. I've had reinforcement brackets welded up on the back side that go to the frame though because the rear cross member is only attached by a few spot welds and you wouldn't want to yank on these without fixing that first. After doing that I love them.

#7 ·
I like Telly's hook-on-frame idea too, but being in the Northeast road salt'll take its toll on that area of the frame. Make sure you're nice and solid there before mounting, and especially before getting yourself into a situation where you might need to be pulled out from the rear. I doubt my frame would hold up to one of those hooks right now, a pressure washer blasted clear through both sides of the frame in that area. Oh well, finals end today, welding starts tomorrow.

#8 ·
Luckily I didnt have a rust problem there. I actually strapped an F-350 with that point and she held strong. I did have to shim the hook away from the frame with some washers to allow room for my boomerangs in the rear to travel after my lift. Other than that, it was a great investment.

#9 ·
xxxflhrci said:
Yeah, that is a great way to rip the cross member off the frame. Telly's tow hook is a better idea.
That rear crossmember is a weak POS...

#11 ·
GrimJeeper91 said:
That rear crossmember is a weak POS...
I agree. I have a trailer hitch bolted to the crossmember. It came that way when I bought the jeep. So anyways, I wanted to pull the receiver out of the hitch so i pulled the pin and yanked. Nothing happened. So I hooked my tow strap to the ball and the other end to a tree and pulled. Instead of the receiver coming out I pulled the rear crossmember right off the rear part of the frame. Now I get to rebuild that.

#12 ·
instg8tor said:
Hey Telly did you sleeve the inside of the frame where you put the bolts through?
I did not sleeve it. When I tightened the bolts, I made sure not to overtighten, where I would pinch the frame. Doesnt seem that anything has moved or tweaked since putting it on. I avoid pulling more 350's whenever possible though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.