Tow bar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tow bar

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
Noe53
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Tow bar

Guys,

Any recomendations for a tow bar. Basically l'd like to hitch my jeep to my truck

What would be the trick to do it. Do I merely put the tranny in neutral and unlock the steering?
Does the transfer case needs to be in neutral as well?

The jeep has a manual transmission with a 4.0L
Thx
F

Noe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

For flat towing, the T-case must be in neutral, but the transmission must be in Park (automatic) or in gear (manual) during towing.

The T-case oil pump is driven from the output shaft of the T-case, so flat towing will turn the driveshafts and the oil pump providing T-case lubrication. So that's all good news.

However, not so for the tranny. Even with the T-case in neutral, the viscous nature of the lube in the T-case will spin the T-case input shaft, which will in turn spin the output shaft of the tranny if it is left in neutral. This is where the trouble starts. The transmission will not lubricate the bearings if the tranny input shaft is not turning, so the bearings will starve for lube. Placing the transmission in gear (any gear) will prevent all of this from happening.

Hope this helps give you a better understanding.

I dug out my '91 Owner's Manual and quoted the following verbatim.

Page 125 of the 1991 Jeep Wrangler Owner's Manual states;

1. Shift transfer case to 2H and check that the 4WD light goes out.

2. Drive vehicle 10 ft. (3 m) rearward and then 10 ft. (3 m) forward to make sure the axle is disengaged.

3. Shift transmission to Neutral.

4. Turn off engine with the ignition key in the unlocked OFF position.
(NOT in the "LOCK" position, the steering wheel must be able to turn while flat towing!)

5. Shift transfer case lever from 2H to N (Neutral) position.

6. Shift manual transmission into gear or automatic transmission into P (Park).

WARNING: With the transfer case in N (Neutral) position, the vehicle could roll unexpectedly. The parking brake should always be applied before the tow bar is attached.

7. Attach vehicle to the tow vehicle with tow bar.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I bought the generic cheap universal tow bar from Amazon. Permanently mounted the brackets to my front bumper. Have towed my YJ all over the country with my larger truck.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
Noe53
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback. This is very valuable info
Cheers,
F
Noe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I use the Harbor Freight tow bar. You can get it for around $75. It works just fine and is easy to mount to a stock bumper. I bungee cord it up when I'm wheeling and it rides great and does not bounce around.

I used some tennis balls to cushion it against the grille and to keep it from contacting the front lip of the hood.

For lights I installed diodes in the turn signals and running lights circuits. I cut into the wiring harness on the drivers side inside the tub, just behind the drivers seat. Just got the loose diodes from Radio Shack and soldered them in. I can just plug into my truck when towing, and all the truck lights and jeep lights are isolated.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
I use the Harbor Freight tow bar. You can get it for around $75. It works just fine and is easy to mount to a stock bumper. I bungee cord it up when I'm wheeling and it rides great and does not bounce around.

I used some tennis balls to cushion it against the grille and to keep it from contacting the front lip of the hood.

For lights I installed diodes in the turn signals and running lights circuits. I cut into the wiring harness on the drivers side inside the tub, just behind the drivers seat. Just got the loose diodes from Radio Shack and soldered them in. I can just plug into my truck when towing, and all the truck lights and jeep lights are isolated.
I bought the kit with the diodes. Love it!! So mch better then stringing up the magnetic tow lights

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post

That's the HF Stinger bumper!
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
That's the HF Old Man Stinger bumper!
Fixed it for ya!

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #9
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The towing instructions, diodes, all good.
But in typical jeep fashion, I went the cheap route and I didn't need to cut the stock harness.
I ran a plug and 3 wires to the back. Hid the 4 way flat plug in front.
The inside of stock Jeep taillights are pretty big and empty so I added one 1157 socket and bulb in each taillight separate from the Jeep lighting system.
It grounds itself nicely through the hitch. You may have to run your own ground if you live in the rust belt.
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
The towing instructions, diodes, all good.
But in typical jeep fashion, I went the cheap route and I didn't need to cut the stock harness.
I ran a plug and 3 wires to the back. Hid the 4 way flat plug in front.
The inside of stock Jeep taillights are pretty big and empty so I added one 1157 socket and bulb in each taillight separate from the Jeep lighting system.
It grounds itself nicely through the hitch. You may have to run your own ground if you live in the rust belt.
exactly what I did. Only a 1 beer job.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #11
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
exactly what I did. Only a 1 beer job.

That's the way to do it. No mods to the original harness.
Unread 01-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #12
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The HF tow bar pictured above is the same cheapo that Amazon and everyone else sells. Just shop for the best price. However, I tossed the wimpy safety chains mine came with and replaced them with two very strong chains. I use one from the tow bar to the towing vehicle, and the other from the Jeep fram to the frame of the towing vehicle.

Also, consider replacing the slim shady bolts (at all the adjustment points) with real hardware, washers and LocTite.

I mounted my brackets atop the bumper because my truck sits high so the receiver is up high.

Lastly, I used good anti-corrosive grade 8 fine thread bolts from McMaster-Carr with matching flat washers and locking nuts to attach the brackets to the bumper. (For two of the bolts, the other two are the stock bumper bolts but longer versions.)

That tow bar is fine but the hardware is cheap and can mess you up, so save on the tow bar and spend a few $$ on decent hardware and chains.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.