Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

tourqe converter, w t heck..

588 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Labhound 
#1 ·
Or the flywheel? I swapped a '98 4.0 out of a ZJ into a '95 YJ, both auto trans and one bolt on the converter won't line up to the holes in the flywheel, I've moved them around and every time one doesn't line up.
The only exception is the motor still has the '96 flywheel, is there a difference in them?
I'm about to use just three bolts or wobble the hole out so the bolt will go in.

#3 ·
Smart way is to take the flywheel off and see if it bolts to the TQ.. If not you have have to modify it to be able to use it. Also if you going EFI then that flywheel better match the system. Those windows or holes are spaced like that for the cps to signal to the computer

#9 ·
It might be a good thing that you pointed this out, I searched several places on the web and found this:

1987-1990 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0L
Renix motor - you can use 87-90 4.0L
91-01 XJ, 93-98 ZJ, 91-95 YJ, 97-99 TJ You will need to relocate temp sender to thermostat housing from HO motor. Also need to use all your Renix accessories, distributor, flywheel/flexplate, etc. 00-01 is not recommended due to crappy head.

#6 ·
M n

When I put the last one together, I spun the torque converter and tried it. I did it 4 times, you know, 4 different ways for the 4 bolts.
I swore a few times because the TC was new and I figured it was wrong. But I turned the TC a couple more times and got it.
Why?
I don't know. One would figure after 4 shots, I would have had it, but no. I gave it some more turns and got it. Have no idea why it was such a pain, when I reached the right alignment, all the bolts went in smoothly.
I sure didn't feel like pulling the trans again.

Maybe try it again and try more than 4 times. ????

Just did it this fall. Yep one bolt was close but no cigar.

Attachments

#8 ·
Good, you got it.
When you start it, immediately put in neutral and let sit for 30 seconds of so to refill. The trans doesn't pump in park. If you ever let it sit for a couple weeks always do the same thing. Put in neutral for 15 seconds or so before putting in gear to fill the TC and build pump pressure.
Also a good idea to add an external trans cooler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.