touch up painting and repainting hard top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > touch up painting and repainting hard top

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

touch up painting and repainting hard top

since summer is finally here and its actually nice, i want to do some touch up on my tub, and repaint my hard top, since from fading, it almost looks 2 tone. anyway, the po painted the tub with rustoleum ultra flat non reflective camo paint. its like a sand color. not clear coated, so i have some spots with scratches, a little surface rust, etc. especially the grill. so i figured i would get a couple cans and go to town. along with redoing the bumpers, maybe getting a clear coat for the flares, and repainting the armor. i of course dont know much about painting a vehicle. the hard top im sure is pretty cut and dry, just make sure i take my time with the windows etc. and maybe apply a clear coat over top of the paint as well. as far as the rust spots, should i just paint over, or take them down to bare metal and redo them? i mean, ive got plenty of power tools, if i need to sand it, or take my grinder and a wire wheel i can go either way. and i was thinking, i dont want the same trouble next winter, since my state started using salt brine on the roads, its hell on vehicles, would a spray on clear coat help protect it? just bouncing ideas around here. let me know what you think. trying to stay between $50-$75 here on the entire job. let me know. thanks!

skimsurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rust repair can make you want to pull out your hair. Its a lot of work but shouldn't be too expensive if you have all the tools. Never paint over rust. When it rears its ugly head, it will be bigger and meaner than you ever imagined!! Clean it up before you paint. Do the job right or not at all. Plan on spending more than you budgeted and twice as much time as you've got penciled out.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ok, so sand or wire wheel? as you said, dont do it if i wont do it right. so you answered one of my questions, the tub is in great shape, aside from the surface rust. there isnt much, the grill, ds fender, and a few other minor spots poking through from bare metal showing from scratches/chips etc. so should i sand it, or take the wire wheel to it? my rocker armor is riveted on. i need to pull it, so i can see if i need to worry about rust under there. of course i have some on the suspension. but, im not worried about that so much, my frame is pord so good for now. mostly the shackles anyway, but i dont really want to paint the tub and top, and have a rusty under. anyway. so rust, covered. how to take it off, im wondering about, and a cheap clear coat idea. thanks tho.
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
Mugzz819
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I used rustoleum hammered paint on my hard top and out worked great. Rolls on and is textured and semi glossy so it actually ended up looking better than the original paint on the hard top I bought. 3 years later it could use a touch up coat but other than that I've had no issues. I also did some fiberglass repair cuz the top wasn't in great shape when I bought it and the texture of the paint covered up those spots perfectly. Good luck!
Mugzz819 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sand the top with 220 grit paper. Wash off all the dust. Let it dry. Paint it.

I did this method with the hardtop on my. 95 YJ. I painted it Gun metal then I painted it Black.

imageuploadedbyautoguide1372003415.375425.jpg
imageuploadedbyautoguide1372003433.782521.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
imageuploadedbyautoguide1372003407.571869.jpg  
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
skimsurf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the top definitely looks good. so now for the rust, should i sand it? or take the grinder to it? i dont have a spray gun or a garage at the moment, so im thinking spray paint is my best bet. i dont really want to paint everything else in the neighborhood. i know from work, over spray is a *****. we got every car at the rig when we painted our derrick a few summers ago, hell all the trees within a quarter mile of the location were white and blue. maybe i can talk to a buddy of mine and use his garage. ok, so top, and most of the tub i think i got figured. now how about this clear coat? any ideas, what to use, what not to use etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.