Total newbie, bought first jeep Feb 2013. 1990 YJ - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Total newbie, bought first jeep Feb 2013. 1990 YJ

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 02-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #121
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I read that about the 10w30. Sounded kinda do but there was a lot of replies. So it's a ax-15. My YJ is pretty much stock besides suspension.

Got sound bar installed today. Top came off with ease. I just had to pull it back to roll bar to drill holes for sound bar. Lookin for a .40 cal grenade can to build a console. From what I have read on here the .40 cal can is ideal for this. With the l-w-h, I didn't realize how small the .50 cal cans are.

Had a issue with shifter boot earlier. Kept me from shifting into 2nd 4th and reverse. Pulled that b**** off and it shifted fine. Is the boot a 2 part piece? Like a inner and outer boot? I'll try to post a pic in a bit.

vdubbles24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #122
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just went out and snapped a quick pic. The thin boot setting off to the side, that is what I'm wondering about.
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #123
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah there's an inner and an outer. Its common for them to be stiff in the winter. I prefer to leave them both in to cut down on the noise and places that could rust. I use both of them and just let it warm up a bit more when its below freezing. Then when I start out I go easy on it until the oil warms up. Once or 2x thru all the gears is usually enough, a mile or 2 basically.

There is a guy on the forum here that has been advertizing genuine Italian leather boots for a while.
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #124
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

From lookin at pics I have posted can anyone give me a general idea of the amount if lift I have.

Thanks
Unread 02-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #125
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i didnt read the whole thread, but from the looks of it you have stock springs, spring-over-axle (SOA, 5.5in lift) and 1in lift shackles = approx 6.5 in lift...

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #126
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got a leak when I fill up. It's on drivers side any ideas before I drop tank?
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #127
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

I would imagine your filler hose is the issue if it only leaks when you fill up.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #128
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubbles24 View Post

I got a leak when I fill up. It's on drivers side any ideas before I drop tank?
The vent hose on that side of the tank is a bear to put on and off, it probably popped off.
The other possibility is the filler and filler vent hoses, the clamps could have rotted off.
Or the lines are just old and cracked. They're a common item.

Basically drop the tank and check all the hose connections and hose ends. The tank vents are on top, one on each side. Get a few feet of 5/16 hose and make your life a bunch easier by putting longer hoses. They go into plastic tee fittings that will be obvious when you drop it.

There are 4 bolts along the rear of the tank skid, these are 5/16-18 Its easier to drop the rear of the tank first. A 1/2" socket and extension is all you need. On the front of the tank, same size but you will need a 1/2" box wrench to catch the nuts on top. Be sure to soak everything down real good in penetrating oil before you begin.

The easy way to deal with the filler hoses is to unscrew the filler neck up top and let the tank down as far as it will go. Its just a half-dozen sheetmetal screws that ring around the filler down inside the plastic cup. The filler *will* hang up on the springs and be a bear. Thats OK, its down halfway so you can reach the hose clamps and just take the whole filler off as an assembly At that point yuou should be able to jostle the tank down all the way onto the ground.

The lines are long enough to let it sit on the ground and the jeep will still start and run off it.

Hope that helps!

(I can usually have my tank out and back in within an hour, it took practice...)

Last edited by pete1991YJ; 03-08-2013 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: details, pic
pete1991YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #129
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for input. I'm gonna try to tackle it when I get off at 8:30 this morning. Still debating since I filled it up just 12 hrs ago!

How many gallons does a 90' yj hold? Gas guage don't work. "Tend to that while tank is out" I just watch mileage. Took 13.8 gallons to top it off this fill up. I was just wondering if it was 20 gal. Give me a idea of mileage vs 1/2 or 1/4 tank etc

Thanks everyone
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:23 AM   #130
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubbles24 View Post
Thanks for input. I'm gonna try to tackle it when I get off at 8:30 this morning. Still debating since I filled it up just 12 hrs ago!

How many gallons does a 90' yj hold? Gas guage don't work. "Tend to that while tank is out" I just watch mileage. Took 13.8 gallons to top it off this fill up. I was just wondering if it was 20 gal. Give me a idea of mileage vs 1/2 or 1/4 tank etc

Thanks everyone
Its most likely 15 gals. I like to hotwire the fuel pump to drain the tank when I have to pull it. I just pull the line off at the engine and jumper the battery into the pump wires. Full tank weighs a couple hundres lbs I found out the hard way once... (funny story)
Unread 03-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #131
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can jumper 30 to 87 in the relay socket and it will force the pump on. 10 minutes to drain a full tank.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #132
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You can jumper 30 to 87 in the relay socket and it will force the pump on. 10 minutes to drain a full tank.
^^^^ this is the way to go
Unread 03-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #133
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well I didn't mess with tank today I have another problem.

Left work this morning 8:30 headin home I noticed oil pressure fluctuated drastically dropped down to around 15 psi, I had a smell of burnt oil in the cab. Then I noticed a foggy haze in the cab as well. I watched my guages never got hot never over 190-195 degrees. The outside temp was close to 50 degrees. Warmest day this winter in my area was today 62 degrees.

So I drove on home, opened hood. I noticed some oil blow by, I've noticed small spots here and there since the mc2100 swap. Now let me get to point, I've attached some pics. Were should I hook up vents on valve cover, sorry if that sounds like a dumb question.
Unread 03-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #134
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 03-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #135
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like you have a PCV in the front. That should go to a source of manifold vacuum. The rear line is the vent/breather. Give it some filtered air from the base of the air cleaner, if it has a fitting. Itherwise find a small aftermarket filter for that hole.

Generally when jeeps blow oil like that, its because the vac lines and PCV is clogged or leaking or somehow screwed. And they are notorious for clogging. Cleanliness and hose clamps are your friends.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.