Total newbie, bought first jeep Feb 2013. 1990 YJ - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Total newbie, bought first jeep Feb 2013. 1990 YJ

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #91
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm lookin into it.

What about a late 70's blazer for a donor? I'm not for sure about the axles and stuff just got off phone with dude and the price is right "$700" He said it has transfer case with hi and lo 4x4 and hi and lo for 2wd. Never heard of it so I thought I'd post it up here.

vdubbles24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #92
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thought about upgrading to this as well. Will it work with nutter job? My be a silly question.

http://crtperformance.com/html/jeep_hei_s.html

Thanks
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #93
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

He probably "twin-sticked" an NP205 case. You can make almost anything work with a jeep. With enough time and money (welding and a machine lathe). For drivetrain parts its probably better to avoid tho - not much will swap easily between a chevy and a jeep. Usually ford stuff is the way to go. Easier and cheaper. Except for engines and transmissions from chevys - those are a popular swap.
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #94
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yep that distributor is what you want on a nuttered 258 motor.
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #95
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Pete you the man you have had all the best answers so far, my wife would prolly love to talk to you. Lol!

So dizzy and wire kit are in order. Will I need anything else for the swap?

Thanks
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #96
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I been lookin into headers as well. Any suggestions on best place to order from. Can't get over the price tags. But it is what it is I guess.
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #97
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I will most definitely pass on Chevy. Thanks for the heads up. Wife will be happy with that post!!!!!
Unread 02-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #98
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Lookin into new dampener as well will this kit work with my setup?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16071_71.htm

Thanks
Brandon
Unread 02-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #99
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Bump
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #100
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Gotten several parts in the past few days. New gauge cluster from mts I think. I like it. Miss clock though, but have CD player in now. New **** grips, hood latches, factory style knobs, sound bar. Ordered a new set of tires had them mounted and balanced Tuesday General Grabbers 35-12.50-15. Lovin the new tires. Now I realize how bad front end is. So today I got all new ball joints, tie rods, axle joints, etc to replace while front end is apart. Had the alignment checked, doesn't need off set ball joints so that's a plus.

Still doing some searching on the hei set up or maybe just get the juice box set up. Never got a answer or not, is the stabilizer link I posted would work on my yj. Oh well I will eventually figure it out. Like I've said before this is my first JEEP so I'm learning as I go.

MC 2100 is dong great still making minor tweaks here and there. I think I will get it dialed in soon.

Had a problem with timing mark. When light hits in #1 mark is on bottom of pulley, how is dampener mounted onto the shaft?????
Is it keyed or splined, does it "go bad" like other harmonic dampeners?

Forgot to mention I did get new exhaust from manifold back yesterday. Went with a flowmaster set up. Sound is a little different but I think I can get used to it. I'll post some pics soon its been cold, rainy, and sleeting here most of the day.

Oh really dumb question for sure, know I will catch hell for this.

Is there any secrets for removing a "YJ" top? Gotta pull it back to mount sound bar. My bros old jeep was a 97' had latches up frony, really simple. I just don't wanna tear up nothin.

Thanks
Brandon
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #101
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/mts-gau...jgpa8790b.html

This the guages I got in the yj now.
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #102
thefewtheproud
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Top is pretty simple but kind of a pain in the *** until you've done it a couple times. Just fold down the visors, unclip the latches, unsnap the buttons above the doors, usnap the buttons above the soundbar and back window, the the rest pops out of the channels.
Unread 02-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #103
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you're making great progress on that front end!
Yes the harmonic balancer is like other cars, they go on there with a key way and they do go bad sometimes. I can't help much with the timing since mine is EFI, but there's more than a few guys around here with a setup similar to yours.
Unread 02-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #104
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Far as taking the top down its usually easier for me to work from the back to the front. The front is held in a channel but you have to release all the tension off the top to pull it out. Its really hard to do if less than 75 deg outside. Unless you have a garage with a huge heater.
Unread 02-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #105
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for top info.

Fuel gauge still not workin, gonna drop tank maybe this weekend and check ground. It's pegging full when on so I'm assuming bad ground.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.