Total newbie, bought first jeep Feb 2013. 1990 YJ - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Total newbie, bought first jeep Feb 2013. 1990 YJ

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #76
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubbles24 View Post
What vehicle the 8.8 common in? Is it a swap you could complete on a Sunday?
Depends. If you have a welder, some cutting and grinding ability, all the parts lined up, and experience. Or could just buy one ready made from East Coast Gear Supply (ECGS) which was in those links I gave earlier.

Realistically, Most guys buy the Ford rear from a junkyard and spend time getting it ready, perhaps new bearings or gears, etc. before they try to put it in. New brakes and some kind of locker perhaps is a good idea. Having it all ready first is definitely easier. Then the actual swapping is only a (long) saturday or something. Its the prep work that takes time.

There *are* kits for this swap which make it a lot easier, which include spring and shock mounts, driveshaft adapters, etc. RuffStuff is one of the better-known ones.

Unread 02-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #77
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So what tired if I got new ones would be appropriate? I don't want to look odd or outta place.

Thanks
Brandon
vdubbles24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #78
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Tires, you mean? Well, on stock (ish) axles and moderate lift I would stick with 31's or 33's. Mine has 31" BFGoodrich AT's but then again I don't do mud. Mine mostly does DD with some snow up to 2-3 ft deep. I do go on the NY Thruway weekly and it is able to use 5th gear and get 20 MPG's.

Other guys like mud-terrain tires and they obviously go in the mud - but not real good in snow.. Still other guys like super swampers. Or the hardcore rock-crawling set likes goodyear MT/R's. It all just really depends on how you plan to drive it, and what you forsee driving thru.

EDIT: WAIT A MINUTE HERE -- YOU'RE ALREADY ON 37's what kind of axles are under there right now? Trailworthy Fab has a screaming good deal on used military surplus Goodyears in 37x12.5.
Unread 02-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #79
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Lil mud here and there. Nothin serious. Snow of course. From what I've gathered axles are stock. Lookin into gears and tires. I've been told 37s make axles a ticking time bomb.
Unread 02-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #80
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lil mud here and there. Nothin serious. Snow of course. From what I've gathered axles are stock. Lookin into gears and tires. I've been told 37s make axles a ticking time bomb.
Wow. I'm amazed they are still alive instead of becoming little piles of gear teeth. What you have been told is absolutely correct however. At least with stock axles. They really can't handle much tire size, and what you have is into competition territory, size-wise.

At the very least I would get the ford 8.8 rear with alloy axle shafts all around, then it'll live for a while with 37's on there.

Trail Worthy Fab has a screaming good deal on surplus military 37's, usually with more than 70%tread, from the middle east. They take them off humvees.
Unread 02-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #81
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Talked to local shop today, gettin info on built Dana 44 for rear and have the Dana 30 beefed up. Air lockers and all the goodies around $3G
Unread 02-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #82
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Talked to local shop today, gettin info on built Dana 44 for rear and have the Dana 30 beefed up. Air lockers and all the goodies around $3G
$3k is not bad - I'd call it fair. Hope you know them really well and trust them before laying out that kind of $$ tho. A decent D44 can go at least $2k all by itself, for a brand-new one. Let alone air lockers, getting ARB's for that price is a steal.
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #83
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
a good price....

find an 8.8 and do some research, its not a hard swap and as good as a D44, some say stronger.... anyhow this can be done for under a grand, maybe a bit more if u want it locked....

dana30.... **** order the chromos online, slide them in.... and thats...beefed up... for a 30... lol

all and all tho..... 3G is a good price..... almost sounds like to good to be true scenario to me.... especially for shop to do it..... be that in parts.....anyhow... just saying u could do it yourself with an 8.8 and some parts online, beef the 8.8 up more with a super 88 kit, ...anyhow

...... EDIT....as I read back... you have 37s????

dont run 37 on a 30... beefed up or not it will leave u broke somewhere

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #84
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I was lookin at parts at rustys the "beefy" kits with air lockers, gears and all was around $2700 he said $600-$800 labor but assured me he can beat it keep it $3g or less the 44 is his axle he built for his jeep but he said change of plans. We shall see.
Unread 02-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #85
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I thought it sounded to good.......

All my 4x4 buddies use him so that's what I'm goin on.
Unread 02-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #86
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I thought it sounded to good.......

All my 4x4 buddies use him so that's what I'm goin on.
Hope it works out for ya cuz that's a freakin sweet deal... he's probably counting on getting a dealer discount or something.
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #87
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

here you go. useful 8.8 information
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/are-...wap-92569.html
Unread 02-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #88
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm ditching 37s go inning smaller with new gears for now. Yet to hear back about Dana deal so.....

Now this night be silly question but oh well.

What are some good replacement seat belts for stock ones. The ones in jeep seem to short and very uncomfortable.

Thanks
Brandon
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #89
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got the MC 2100 mounted and adjusted. WOW what a difference. It's like a new jeep. Put about 100 miles on test run with new carb! Ordered some more parts earlier, getting all new exhaust come Tuesday. Ole YJ is starting to come together.

Is there anyone that makes aftermarket vents for the dash I have a few missing. Lol

Thanks again everyone
Brandon
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #90
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Dunno about the seatbelts or the vents. Glad to hear its starting to work out tho I still think you shoyuld investigate at least a ford 8.8 rear tho considering everything else... even if you go down to 35's you'll still need it.

BTW if you need stock replacement parts check out www.daveysjeeps.com. All he does is part out wranglers, he does mail-order for small items. He might have the seatbelts and vents for cheap, in fact I'm sure he would.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.