Total newbie, bought first jeep Feb 2013. 1990 YJ - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Total newbie, bought first jeep Feb 2013. 1990 YJ

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #61
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcorp87370
Guys, what about a change of steering gear box from factory to 98-99 dodge durango steering gear box(more robust kind). Worked for me on my 96 YJ with 33s on it. Now it drives like like on rail tracks. My mod cost 170 for durango steering box from Pepboys and 150 install in the same shop. 35 to reflush the system. There was a core charge of 120 but was waived after install. Remember to order the part before install. This way you will not have issues with slightly diferent gear boxes and core refund..
That swap sounds like it could be a great upgrade. I am going to look into it. Just curious though where did you find a 96 YJ?

Unread 02-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #62
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubbles24

Jb kit installed, how's it look? Drove it about 15 miles. WOW what a difference. Made new drag link as well. Heading to alignment shop Monday morning.

Does it look safer, better?

Ordered new carb today. Should be here 14th or 15th MC dude off eBay. I've heard nothing but good about them so I'll give it a shot.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=65085728889
Lookin good, ur steering has got to b feelin better now. Ur angles r way better now, u should b good to go.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #63
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

vdubbles24, fill out the information in your profile. 2 things, the motorcraft carb is a much better choice than the original and easy to install. There is a carb rebuilder from St. Petersburg, Fl who used to sell on E-bay and is great. Guaranteed Carburetors, 7939 Ulmerton Rd, Largo, FL 33771 (727) 585-1337. As to regearing your axles, what axles are you running now? If you're running 37" tires you need to make sure the axles are strong enough.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #64
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Took my gauge cluster out and cleaned it. Got my oil, temp, and clock workin. But the fuel gauge is still pegging on full. From what I read its a bad ground. Where is it grounded, can I by pass it and make a direct ground from guage?

Thanks
Brandon

How long it take to get jeepforum.com sticker, just curious.
vdubbles24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #65
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubbles24 View Post
Took my gauge cluster out and cleaned it. Got my oil, temp, and clock workin. But the fuel gauge is still pegging on full. From what I read its a bad ground. Where is it grounded, can I by pass it and make a direct ground from guage?

Thanks
Brandon

Yes you can and should ground wherever possible. The jeep wiring and grounds are *notorious* at best.

The dash cluster on mine ultimately was grounded on a bracket down by the distributor. If you have that one, you may want to carefully check all the wires and terminals going into that ground point. Other common places are up behind the E-brake pedal.

You can just run a fresh wire into anyplace on the dash with a sheetmetal screw, its all metal. The ground point on the tank itself is a steel tab spotwelded onto the top of the sender unit. Lots of people trace the wire from that and just run another one up into the taillight housing.
Unread 02-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #66
mustanggarage
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks
Brandon

I admittedly normally work on mustangs as my user name implies however I was under the impression the jeep gauge works the same as the mustang. so this is more in the nature of a question.

in the mustang there is a constant positive voltage going into the gauge and it has a variable ground through the sending unit. so if there is a short in the sending unit wire or the sending unit itself the gauge will read pegged full. if there is a short in the positive wire it will read pegged empty.

is this the way the jeep gauge works? if so then I would say your problem is a broken or shorted sending unit wire. the easy way to test it is to remove the sending unit wire from the gauge it should then read empty. then ground it and it should read full. then you can track the problem from there, either bad wire or sending unit. or bad ground from sending unit/tank to frame.

if that is not how the jeep gauge works could somebody enlighten me please?

thanks.
mustanggarage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #67
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanggarage View Post
I admittedly normally work on mustangs as my user name implies however I was under the impression the jeep gauge works the same as the mustang. so this is more in the nature of a question.

in the mustang there is a constant positive voltage going into the gauge and it has a variable ground through the sending unit. so if there is a short in the sending unit wire or the sending unit itself the gauge will read pegged full. if there is a short in the positive wire it will read pegged empty.

is this the way the jeep gauge works? if so then I would say your problem is a broken or shorted sending unit wire. the easy way to test it is to remove the sending unit wire from the gauge it should then read empty. then ground it and it should read full. then you can track the problem from there, either bad wire or sending unit. or bad ground from sending unit/tank to frame.

if that is not how the jeep gauge works could somebody enlighten me please?

thanks.
On the jeep, if any one gauge stays pegged its almost a 100% bet that a ground is bad.
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #68
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

K so I've sold of a project have some $$$$ to invest in the yj.

You'll have seen what I'm dealin with. Before I invest the money I need help on knowing what to buy. I wanna do gears, axles, BJs, u joints, everything drive train.

This is a daily driver, no extreme off roading. Running the 37x14.50x15s I got em might as well use them. I'm pretty sure all suspension is stock. I read 4.88s are the gears I need. Front drive shaft is out so having one made locally. I got it when I bought it 2 weeks. But it's shaped like a banana. Lol

So please point me in right direction. Wanna spend the $$$$ right the first time.

List

Axles
Gears
U joints
Ball joints
Speaker bar
Head unit
Clutch/ pressure plate kit

Thought about trying this instead if stock cluster, any feed back?

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/mts-gau...jgpa8790b.html

The list of small stuff is endless. I really appreciate the advice mainly on gears and axles.
Unread 02-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #69
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you are gonna run 37's then be prepared to step up to the big boy axles or else break a lot of parts. I would at least put 3/4 tons under there if that was the plan. Get a pair from something like a 1979 F-250.
Unread 02-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #70
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The stock axles will work just for dd and back roads correct?
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #71
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Super 35 kit for rear maybe......
Unread 02-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #72
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Super 35 kit for rear maybe......
Waste of money! Do a Ford 8.8 and be done with it.
Unread 02-13-2013, 01:27 AM   #73
beemerkid
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You seem like a mechanical guy, Ill bet an 8.8 swap is within your ability. Even for a DD and back road runner I would put a rear axle at the top of the list. Many people, myself included have broken at least shafts, or grenaded the differential on the dana 35, even with near stock size tires. Your 37's are a time bomb. There are lots of 8.8 swap threads around, or you can go from pretty simple to full blown with ECGS.
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #74
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What vehicle the 8.8 common in? Is it a swap you could complete on a Sunday?
Unread 02-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #75
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The stock axles will work just for dd and back roads correct?
Wrong, nope. The stock axles (especially the rear) are pretty weak with anything more than 33's. The stock rear axle is known to break with stock tires on the street, without even going offroad.

There isn't any kit that will make them strong enough for 37's, but you might run 35's with the front well-built. It's pushing your luck tho. Like others have said, the rear simply isn't worth putting any money into, period.

You can get a ford 8.8 rear out of an Explorer, 1996 and up. Much stronger, you should be able to safely run 35's then for dd and back roads. If you spend the $$ on alloy axle shafts instead of the stock steel parts, then you can even wheel it pretty hard offroad.

Regardless of using alloy or stock shafts, I do recommend some type of locker either in the front or rear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.