Total newbie, bought first jeep Feb 2013. 1990 YJ - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Total newbie, bought first jeep Feb 2013. 1990 YJ

Spiderwebshade @ JeepHut.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 03-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #181
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I bought the relay needed for LEDs and nothing. So I pulled both relays under dash, polished up spades on them. Put em back in now everything works fine. My front side marker lights never worked and now they do. I don't get it lol

vdubbles24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #182
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Picked up LED plate bolts at autozone. Now I'm legal. Found some 2 1/4 side marker lights "red" for rear. That be next.

Been thinking about a TJ grill swap with round LED turn signals. Anyone done it?
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #183
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Now I got fancy lights I have another problem.

Getting a hazy smoke in cab, had window open and it got all smoky. A bit of a oil smell. What to do?
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #184
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe someone will respond to this!

I need a lil guidance please. I've read the term "stretched" and "reverse shackle". I've tried the search. Maybe I'm not narrowing it down. I can ever get close to what I'm wanting to know.

I posted I have swaggy springs. Been thinkin about bastard pack, but what's the stretch, were or how does it come into play? Same with the reverse shackle that eliminate the "fangs" up front?

Stock axles, SOA, 35-12.50-15 is current set up.

Thanks
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #185
Yarz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Smoky engine? how bad? could be okay for years, could not. Mine got that way and then started knocking, so I replaced the engine...

Stretch moves either your front axle forward or your rear axle backwards, or both, thus stretching your wheelbase. IIRC, with the waggy springs, the pin is offset (not centered between the spring eyes) and that is where your stretch comes from. <-Not 100% sure that's what I've read about waggy springs, but I'm like 90% sure

The shackle reversal does exactly as the name implies, moves the shackles to the reverse side of the spring. This will offer benefits of ride quality, and maybe offroad ability (again, not sure) because when your tire hits a bump, it moves rearward (the natural direction it wants to) vs stock, where it wants to move forward

Hope that helps some

1990 White YJ TBI350, SM465, NP231, SOA, RE 1.5" SOA springs, Ford 8.8, D30, 4.10's, JBConversions SYE, XJ shaft, Bilstein 5150s, jb4x4 steering, MORE SS brakelines, 35x12.50 15 MT's, '95 YJ Brake Booster, '78 Grand Marquis MC, ZJ Prop. Valve
Yarz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #186
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome afternoon with my kiddos and YJ first time with top off.

Unread 04-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #187
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The jeep looks great.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #188
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. It is my work in progress. First time with top off. I love it. Gotta put it back on Sunday unfortunately. Callin for rain Monday here.
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #189
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Found these opinions anyone.

http://evansville.craigslist.org/pts/3722681628.html

Or these

http://evansville.craigslist.org/pts/3725884556.html
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #190
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubbles24 View Post
Maybe someone will respond to this!

I need a lil guidance please. I've read the term "stretched" and "reverse shackle". I've tried the search. Maybe I'm not narrowing it down. I can ever get close to what I'm wanting to know.

I posted I have swaggy springs. Been thinkin about bastard pack, but what's the stretch, were or how does it come into play? Same with the reverse shackle that eliminate the "fangs" up front?

Stock axles, SOA, 35-12.50-15 is current set up.

Thanks
The previous poster was correct about the stretch. Opinions vary about shackle reversals. If it's a strictly offroad rig, I'd do a shackle reversal in an instant. They seem to flex better in this configuration and they seem to climb obstacles better. On road however, they create nasty bump steer that will scare the crap out of you.

If you're running 35s on stock axles, I'd start looking at a rear axle swap before thinking about a shackle reversal. On road the life span of a D35 turning 35s not real healthy. Off road, it's not "if" you're going to break it, but "when".

Edit:
I feel dumb. I didn't hit the links on your last post until I posted... If you're not going bigger than 35s, I wouldn't bother swapping the front axle. The low pinion D44 isn't that much stronger than the D30 that you have and you're going to lose so much ground clearance running a 44/60 or a 60/60 that you might as well go with bigger tires (i.e. you're robbing peter to pay paul). If you're staying on 35s, I'd just do an Explorer 8.8 swap and be done with it. If you're going bigger than 35s, you'll want a minimum of a high pinion D44 up front.

Personally, If I were going to go bigger than 35s, I'd go way bigger. Once you get all the mods in place to run 37s, you might as well set it up for 40s (just my opinion) because the price point on components isn't that much different.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #191
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think I'm gonna go with 8.8. Just keep the 35s. It had 37-14.50 on it when I drove it home.
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #192
flashy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Subscribed!! Great Job so far. If you have any questions about the Waggy springs or the shackle reversal, dont be afraid to ask. I am currently building one with both. I feel like a walking encyclopedia with all the info I have gained. Some things are definetly debatable but I have no problem giving you my opinion and things that I have learned.

The OP was right about the waggy springs, the center pin is 2" offset so it gives you a stretch, they also give you 2" of lift. Since you are already SOA, you should build or buy an antiwrap bar so you dont bend the springs. And for wheel hop.

The local guys that I wheel with swear by reverse shackle if you are SOA. As far as the bump steer and the nose dive issues ( those are the cons) if its built right, you wont have problems. I know Chevys for sure came stock with reverse shackles and they sold trucks so there must be a way around the problems. Like you discovered from fixing your steering...both work, one just works right.

94 YJ slightly modified

00 WJ stock
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #193
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've been told by many that BDS 2" on my SOA is gonna be to much. So I may do bastard S10 packs with the 5/8s booms. I have no junkyards around me with jeeps. Only jeep I've found is a late 90s and it's been picked clean. S10s are plentyful at the PP yards. I've read I could gain up to 2" lift with the bastard pack, and that the BDS even though sold as 2" will most likely be 3"+.

I'm to the point idk what exactly to do. I would like a tad bit more lift to level it out plus I want a little smoother ride. I have a $1200 budget. I was gonna try to pick up everything for 8.8 swap, get front DS made, and do something to springs.

Right now I'm lookin at

BDS 2" springs $95 ea (4)
U bolts $10 ea (8)
Bushings $70
8.8 from PP $100
DS from local shop for front $150
MORE 5/8 boomerang shackles $101.99
MORE 8.8 axle swap kit $165.99
MORE Driveshaft flange adapter $56.99

Autozone
F350 m/c NM3021 $47.99
03 Wrangler pass front brake line 78125 $15.99 (x2)
Water pump $45.99
Water pump gasket $1.49
Front brakes $34.99

Rugged Ridge SYE $173.95 "EBay store"

Water pump isn't needed but I'm replacing fan clutch, timing set, so might as well while I'm in there.

Sorry to drag it out but I'm really not sure how to spend my limit wisely. Bastard packs would save me and allow me to ditch sky jacker shocks and get something better.

Any input guys, thank you
Brandon
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #194
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't figured new rotors, pads, calipers for 8.8 yet either. So on that note I may have to wait on shocks a bit longer. I bought jeep feb 1 for $2200 and have put $2500 in it. I'm $4700 in it so far. I plan on keeping it so why not build it how I want it right. I gotta ditch the D35 before it has a come apart with my 35s I've already been warned enough. Lol
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #195
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

http://bds-suspension.com/product-display?ma=7&yr=1990

BDS helper kit.

Same idea as bastard pack I think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.