Total newbie, bought first jeep Feb 2013. 1990 YJ - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Total newbie, bought first jeep Feb 2013. 1990 YJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #166
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nah the alt bracket and the AC bracket is the same for all models. The AC was never a factory option, it was always dealer installed. So you might run into some "interesting" stuff, or maybe not. Its pretty similar to some aftermarket units you might have found in a JC Whitney catalog.

Somewhere on this site is another guy who was carrying his kayaks on top with the top off. They were tied down between the roll bar and windshield. I've moved a couch that way once -- anytime you're wondering where to put something, just throw it on top! its the only place on a jeep that has any room!

Take a look in this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/l...c-area-1019457

pete1991YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #167
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looked through a good portion of thread. Kinda sucks, makes me want nicer weather worst now!!!

Quick question though.

I've noticed my yj has a lil swag to springs. Been lookin at replacing them with some 4" springs. Now I need some advice.

1. What's best ones for the $$$ it's a dd and light trail kinda jeep, keep in mind.

2. What kinda work am I lookin at with the SOA lift I currently have?

3. What is the "bastard" S10 springs, I've read about on here often?
vdubbles24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #168
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubbles24 View Post
Looked through a good portion of thread. Kinda sucks, makes me want nicer weather worst now!!!

Quick question though.

I've noticed my yj has a lil swag to springs. Been lookin at replacing them with some 4" springs. Now I need some advice.

1. What's best ones for the $$$ it's a dd and light trail kinda jeep, keep in mind.

2. What kinda work am I lookin at with the SOA lift I currently have?

3. What is the "bastard" S10 springs, I've read about on here often?
1. Best for the bucks spent... the most popular are the OME 36R or the BDS springs. Cadillac ride compared to the stockers. For really high-end springs I would include Deaver in that list, they supposedly have the ultimate ride and flex. Deaver is built to order.

2. With 4" springs and your current lift, I would definitely lose the shackles you currently have and go with whatever the spring manufacturer recommends. You are more than likely looking at new driveshafts anyhow. And different shocksfor sure, Bilstein and Fox are known to be very good.

3. Bastard packs consist of taking the rear springs apart off an S-10 an putting a few of the leaves into the YJ spring packs. You have to cut down the S-10 springs to length. This is a very effective and cheap way to gain 2 or 3 inches courtesy of any junkyard and some labor. There's a whole thread about it if you search.

BTW, the other springs I mentioned are all at least $100 each, ditto for the shocks. It can add up quick.

OTOH the fact that you are SOA means it is already 4" above stock, adding another 4" on top of that is nutty... thats getting into pretty radical territory. Should be good for 37" tires if you do it. Dunno if the rest of the drivetrain is up to it tho; by the time you are running 37's, most guys have one-ton running gear under there.
Unread 03-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #169
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Good point Pete. I'm gonna keep researching bastard S10 setup. I've read I can ad just the big leaf and it will eliminate my swag. Might raise it 1"-2" but I don't think that will affect anything, or am I wrong?

Back to older post. I found my gas tank leak. It's a dry rotted filler hose, gonna try to fix it ASAP, cause I'm still running with no fuel guage. Need to drop tank and find ground problem, might even do the LED tail light swap while I'm back there.
Unread 03-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #170
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think that Rubicon Express makes springs *specifically* for SOA setups, they have 1.5" lift and they are designed to handle the different kind of stress that SOA setups go thru. You might want to look into that, its probably the best way to go. They were a favorite with the guys on here for years but I haven't heard much about them lately. They had a kit to do all 4 corners last I checked, and the quality was supposedly excellent.
Unread 03-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #171
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Can't find rubicon express springs.

What about these?

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/leaf-sp...FQTqnAod8TsAMQ
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #172
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubbles24 View Post
Can't find rubicon express springs.

What about these?

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/leaf-sp...FQTqnAod8TsAMQ
Those are exactly the ones I meant. Here, have a look at their kit page, direct from the factory: http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Lift-K...20Express#tab1
Unread 03-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #173
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna keep lookin at springs. SOA I wanna make sure I do it right. Scored about 16' free 2"x2" tubing and about 4' of 1.5"x1.5" tubing. Gonna build swing out carrier for spare. I'll prolly post a build thread when I start. Gonna make my own hinge with some delrin from work for a bushing.
Unread 03-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #174
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Went in rural king to get some bolts, the yj was only jeep there. I walked out to this!
Unread 03-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #175
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Been a busy morning.

Got hitch installed.

Got started on console. Tonight I'm gonna cut angle and make frame for it to bolt to in jeep.

At grocery store. Man that thing sat really low. I couldn't believe it.

Parked next to my buddies project. I dig the LED swap. Think it's in my near future.

Those square lights look so much better don't they!!
Unread 03-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #176
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

yeah they jeepers tend to find each other in parking lots. Ther was a thread about impromptu parking lot conventions in the wrangler general discussion section I think.
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #177
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

On the bastard springs make sure you cut the springs so the ends are even with the center of the main spring eye. Very important!
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #178
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got around to doin the taillight swap today

$34 for lights
$45 for hole saw!

Sucks to pay $45 for a saw for 2 holes.

Anyone know a good place for "big boy" seat belts?

I'd like some 2"-4" longer than stock.
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #179
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Stock relay wouldn't allow the signals to work, replaced it with electronic relay and still nothing. Any suggestions please!!

I've done some searching with no results.
Unread 03-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #180
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You need to have an LED flasher relay, the LEDs don't draw enough to allow a normal flasher to work. Alternatively you could wire in an 1156 bulb somewhere and that would draw enough to make them flash. Personally I would just go to the parts store and get an LED flasher, they may have to order it depending on where you go.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.