Total newbie, bought first jeep Feb 2013. 1990 YJ - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Total newbie, bought first jeep Feb 2013. 1990 YJ

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Reply
Unread 03-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #151
vdubbles24
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Grandview, Indiana
Posts: 186
Thanks Pete

vdubbles24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #152
vdubbles24
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Grandview, Indiana
Posts: 186
Been browsing and reading. What's the best thread on here covering 8.8 swap. Found a good deal on one at local junk yard.
vdubbles24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #153
pete1991YJ
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubbles24 View Post
Been browsing and reading. What's the best thread on here covering 8.8 swap. Found a good deal on one at local junk yard.
Here's one of my favorites: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...finally-636291

There's a whole list of them tho: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=+site...iw=853&bih=420
__________________
***--- Wrecking Crew member ---***
"I've prolly been around longer than you think"
pete1991YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #154
vdubbles24
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Grandview, Indiana
Posts: 186
I was at local pull a part and found 9 8.8s. 1999 explorers and up. $74.99 sounds good found the MORE kits for like $170. I know there is little things to go along with it. But it be a start. Is there any markings I can look at to find the gearing on the 8.8?
vdubbles24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #155
bsmith4004
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: derry, New Hampshire
Posts: 2
Hi guys, I'm also a newbie to the site and I searched 1990 YJ and found this thread! I actually have a question as well:
I have a 1990 YJ 4.2 L 6 cylinder engine. For some reason, when I bought it about a year ago, it didn't have the air intake assembly. I got it from a newly single mom who wanted the thing out of her garage so she couldn't really give me a whole lot of info but it was 1,250 so I jumped all over it! Anyway, I've been using a this small filter that I managed to fit over the carb but I feel like if I actually had a good intake system it would run better. I've been looking around for days and can't find a single website that has an original intake setup for my model. I'm a big shopper on quadratec because they have everything but even they didn't have it. If someone could help me out it would be much appreciated! Thanks guys
bsmith4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #156
pete1991YJ
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith4004 View Post
Hi guys, I'm also a newbie to the site and I searched 1990 YJ and found this thread! I actually have a question as well:
I have a 1990 YJ 4.2 L 6 cylinder engine. For some reason, when I bought it about a year ago, it didn't have the air intake assembly. I got it from a newly single mom who wanted the thing out of her garage so she couldn't really give me a whole lot of info but it was 1,250 so I jumped all over it! Anyway, I've been using a this small filter that I managed to fit over the carb but I feel like if I actually had a good intake system it would run better. I've been looking around for days and can't find a single website that has an original intake setup for my model. I'm a big shopper on quadratec because they have everything but even they didn't have it. If someone could help me out it would be much appreciated! Thanks guys
Try www. daveysjeeps.com all he does is part out wranglers, its basically a jeep-only junkyard that does mail-order.
__________________
***--- Wrecking Crew member ---***
"I've prolly been around longer than you think"
pete1991YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #157
pete1991YJ
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubbles24 View Post
I was at local pull a part and found 9 8.8s. 1999 explorers and up. $74.99 sounds good found the MORE kits for like $170. I know there is little things to go along with it. But it be a start. Is there any markings I can look at to find the gearing on the 8.8?
ISTR there should be a tag on the axle housing but I forget the details. There was a website called rangerstation I think (ford rangers) that has all the axle ID info. There is a way to read the codes off the sticker inside the door too.
__________________
***--- Wrecking Crew member ---***
"I've prolly been around longer than you think"
pete1991YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #158
Yarz
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Gibsonia, PA
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubbles24 View Post
Is there any markings I can look at to find the gearing on the 8.8?
If you can't find any, you can hold one side still, spin the other side twice, and count the number of times the pinion rotates..
If it's ~3.75 times, it's probably 3.73's
If it's ~4 times, it's probably 4.10's
etc..
__________________
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

1990 White YJ TBI350, SM465, NP231, SOA, RE 1.5" SOA springs, Ford 8.8, D30, 4.10's, JBConversions SYE, XJ shaft, Bilstein 5150s, jb4x4 steering, MORE SS brakelines, 35x12.50 15 MT's, '95 YJ Brake Booster, '78 Grand Marquis MC, ZJ Prop. Valve
Yarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #159
bsmith4004
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: derry, New Hampshire
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
Try www. daveysjeeps.com all he does is part out wranglers, its basically a jeep-only junkyard that does mail-order.
Thanks Pete I just sent them an email, I hope it works out.
bsmith4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #160
vdubbles24
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Grandview, Indiana
Posts: 186


Bought it February 1st for $2200 now a month and a half later and $2500 here it is............

These yjs are expensive hobbies. Lol
vdubbles24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #161
vdubbles24
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Grandview, Indiana
Posts: 186
15-20 mph head winds make for a long long drive home! Just sayin.
vdubbles24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #162
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 2,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubbles24 View Post
15-20 mph head winds make for a long long drive home! Just sayin.
Haha gotta love the aerodynamics of a brick
__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #163
vdubbles24
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Grandview, Indiana
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Haha gotta love the aerodynamics of a brick
Yeah it's awesome!
vdubbles24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #164
pete1991YJ
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 1,623
Actually its a brick with a tent on top... believe me I know about headwinds.
__________________
***--- Wrecking Crew member ---***
"I've prolly been around longer than you think"
pete1991YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #165
vdubbles24
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Grandview, Indiana
Posts: 186
It was absolutely miserable. I'm ready for summer to remove the "tent and doors"

Made a little progress on jeep today. It is slow moving it is my DD. I pulled rear bumper of to clean up and weld a receiver onto, gonna fab up my own tire carrier so I remove stock one from gate. Let me say my gate has seen better days. No rust just a little wavy. I'm in progress of building a carrier for my kayaks. Something that slides into receiver and goes up high enough and even to roll bar so I can mount my 14' kayak and it be secure for highway and easy trails. Now I have this YJ I can get into some good fishing holes and won't have to paddle back so damn far. Want to ad rack onto the kayak mount to securely put rods and tackle while driving. Already made rod holders outta 6" black PVC capped on both ends. Protect them from the elements, thieves, limbs, etc. I didn't take any pics nothin to gloat over yet. It's still rather chilly here in southern Indiana. So things maybe slow moving.

How hard is it to remove all the AC crap from a yj? Can I get alt bracket that doesn't use ac bracket? Just curious.
vdubbles24 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.