Torx sockets - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Torx sockets

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Travisf90
1998 ZJ 

Torx sockets

So I know there may be a post about this already I looked and had no luck. I need a good set of Torx bits in the socket form I keep stripping or snapping the ones I have if any one has some advice on a good brand it would be great thanks for any advice you guys give

Travisf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have a set of Craftsman and they have worked pretty good. If you keep stripping or snapping them you might need to use more PB or heat up the bolsts.
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Luuca
Professional Novice

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamc View Post
I have a set of Craftsman and they have worked pretty good. If you keep stripping or snapping them you might need to use more PB or heat up the bolsts.
^This

Even the best set of Torx will get beat up and lose a few battles on a Jeep. Craftsman are nice because they are guaranteed for life, break it? they replace it free. I think the Lowes brand "Husky" and maybe the Home Depot brand has the same type of guarantee. Look into it.
I only get 100 characters including BBcode for my Sig line now so I thought I'd be witty and write until I run out of characters but for some reason I'm not running out of space as if some magic or witchcraft is afoot. I wonder what it could be. Perhaps the planets aligned and I'm the exception to the rule or some benevolent soul in a position of authority has looked down upon me and my predicament and has opted to rectify it in his intoxicated state and make people read this whole thing for no reason at all. Other than his amusement of course.
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've started buying NAPA bits that slip into a socket. They are sold in a 2-pack, priced right, hold up better than most I've used and have a lifetime guarantee.
brentd711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I use S-K's, they also have a lifetime guarantee (and because the shop that carries them is on my route home from work, which is real handy...)

I've had to replace a few that lost battles with the seat belt and roll bar bolts, so I know first hand that they honor that guarantee, without any questions/issues about how long the cheater pipe was or what setting you were using on the impact gun when you broke them.
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
Suprmn
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I went to a local retailer (Tool Town) that sells impact torx sockets. The ones I bought were made in Taiwan, but they have held up pretty good and they gave a lifetime warranty so its hard to beat that.
Suprmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
1992 renagade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've found the biggest thing you can do to help stop breaking and stripping torx bits is to give the socket a good whack with a hammer to help seat it in the torx bolt before removing also my 3/8 Snap-on inpact gun helps a ton.

1992 black Renegade
4.0L 5spd. 4:10 gears 33x12.50 BFG KM 2's A to Z fabrication front and rear bumpers and cage
1994 YJ Sahara Project Bean
2000 Jeep Cherokee Stock
AtoZ Fabrications www.atozfabrication.com
Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance www.bmja.org
Delaware jeep Association www.delawareja.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Screw the HOA. More guys just need to start doing man things in the garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Jeeps are like mistresses, they take all your money, but boy what a ride!
1992 renagade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992 renagade View Post
I've found the biggest thing you can do to help stop breaking and stripping torx bits is to give the socket a good whack with a hammer to help seat it in the torx bolt before removing also my 3/8 Snap-on inpact gun helps a ton.
I like to tap mine too. Makes sure they are seated fully and helps keep from stripping. I've got a set of Craftsman and a set of Huskys and both are about the same.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
jdubsjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

snap on!!!
jdubsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
ih1200
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Snap On has a set the call heavy duty removal that are very good, Pretty spendy though at over $200 a set
ih1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
SquidsYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentd711 View Post
I've started buying NAPA bits that slip into a socket. They are sold in a 2-pack, priced right, hold up better than most I've used and have a lifetime guarantee.
I got something similar at Advance Auto. It's a set of about a dozen different torx inserts and an adapter for a 3/8" ratchet. I also got an impact driver and mostly use these bits with the impact driver and lots of PB Blaster.

I found out today that if a torx screw is at that point between stripped and rounded out, you can sometimes fit an allen bit into it and still get it off. I believe that the larger T50 bolts will use a 3/8" allen wrench after the star shape has been stripped. Anyways, it's worth a try before you start drilling for an easy out.
SquidsYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca

^This

Even the best set of Torx will get beat up and lose a few battles on a Jeep. Craftsman are nice because they are guaranteed for life, break it? they replace it free. I think the Lowes brand "Husky" and maybe the Home Depot brand has the same type of guarantee. Look into it.
Lowes is Kobalt. Home Depot is Husky. And Kobalt will always be greater than Husky lol. They have a warranty similar to craftsman too.
My Kobalt set has held up very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubsjeep
snap on!!!
I could've swore snap on makes craftsman or craftsman makes snap on. But either way I'd choose craftsman for price and easy of exchange being there are sears everywhere.

Help our dog Bo! https://fundly.com/give-bo-a-chance
Michaelgoesrawr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #13
StruggleBuggy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Drills & Extractors

I had 2-3 Craftsman lose the battle in the last couple of weeks. That was after the PB didn't work, heads stripped, didn't budge. I picked up a set of Gear Wrench security Tork at Advance Auto that has held up pretty well (Sucked that I had to buy the whole set to get one socket to just to remove the Front Roll Bar)
StruggleBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 04:25 AM   #14
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The best torx set you can get is sometimes not goin to get the bolt out without stripping one now and again. Once you get the bolt out, opt for a hex head replacement when you can unlike places like door mounts that may require a direct replacement. I have found that cone washers are immensely helpful when replacing tapered torx bolts with hex head bolts.
Unread 06-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #15
Travisf90
1998 ZJ 

Home depot sells the hex bolts to replace the Torx I got 16 stainless steel hex that I can screw right it looks much nicer and I kno I may have a chance to get the out
Travisf90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.