*&$%^ Torx Bolts HELP!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > *&$%^ Torx Bolts HELP!!

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 01-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

*&$%^ Torx Bolts HELP!!

Purchased these http://www.quadratec.com/products/12010_72.htm mirror movers and can't seem to get the windshield mounting bolts out. 3 out of 4 are just turning, and 1 won't budge. I have busted 1 torx bit already. Do these bolts have nuts on the inside and if so how do you access them?? Let me guess, take the dash out When the 3 that are turning first broke loose they made a poping sound, I bet that was the weld on the inside nut breaking loose. I have turned them about 3 or 4 rounds but they don't seem to be screwing out any or getting any looser.

3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Douglas S.

Unfortunately, there are captive nuts in behind
Unread 01-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
nicehose
1991 YJ Wrangler 

you guessed it...dash..nut on back ... and even with dash back its no cake walk , gets tight up under windshield.........only thing EZ to install on my jeep so far has been the GPS garmin..but im waiting for it to somehow break my glass or some other unforseen disaster.....but i still love not like love my jeep
nicehose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Bridges31
1987 YJ Wrangler 

For the outer bolts, if you have a torch (like a propane torch), just heat up the bolts for like 10 seconds then spray it with some PB Blaster and they should come right out. I did that to a parts jeep I had that had been sitting for years and it the bolts came right out.

You can do the same with the inside bolts, but be very careful so you don't light anything on fire
Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It's a sucky job..

But... Reach up behind the dash, find the nuts and peel off all the spray on insulation/rtv crap they put on at the factory. Then work a wrench up there.

Takes a while but is do-able.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The windshield bolts were assembled using Red Locktite.
You need to heat them up with a torch (as mentioned above) to soften the Locktite before trying to get them out.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

See my post in your other thread about these mounts..... The top bolts are in captive nuts and the bottoms have 1/2 nuts you can reach with a little effort. Mine made that popping sound too. I got lucky and didn't have any of the insulating crap on them that most mention here on JF.....
Unread 01-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
the_mork
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'll be messing around with this when I install some light mounts, any tips to heating them up without ruining the paint or is it pretty safe?
the_mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
ChasY
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just get the right size drill bit so that when drilling, the head falls off at a certain point. Then a punch through the hole knocks out that sealer stuff and the old nut. With a good drill bit this is pretty quick.
Unread 01-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Don't do like I did and accidently pass a mapp torch over the glass. But at least the new windshield is clean and free of pits.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
Bridges31
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mork View Post
I'll be messing around with this when I install some light mounts, any tips to heating them up without ruining the paint or is it pretty safe?
When I took the windshield frame off of my parts jeep that I had, it did bubble up the paint a little bit, but I didn't really care about that so I held the torch to it a little longer than most would. If you hold the flame for about 5-10 seconds and try and angle it away from the paint/glass, you should be okay.

No guarantees though. I would be very very careful about it.
Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just be careful on it heats up and you notice it, it's too late. you've gotten to the point of no return and your paint's ruined!
rrisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasY View Post
I just get the right size drill bit so that when drilling, the head falls off at a certain point. Then a punch through the hole knocks out that sealer stuff and the old nut. With a good drill bit this is pretty quick.
What did you do about the new bolts to install, put nuts on the back or tap the hole with threads (if that is even possible) I have never been into one yet.
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #14
lckdrgn
1994 YJ Wrangler 

sodering iron?

If it is just heat how about using a soldering iron directly on the screw? I have a Krago rack on order. I hoped it would be an easy install. Now I'm alittle worried. Bought a 94 with great paint; always inside. Hope this screw come out.
lckdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #15
the_mork
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well when the time comes I'll just do it, the passenger side of the windshield frame wont last much longer, It has a rust hole you can stick your fist into and there isn't enough metal left to sand it down so if I mess it up I'm not going to cry.

Oh the wonders of buying a Jeep that lived in Hawaii, the underside is still shiny but the windshield frame and tie downs are rusting right out.
the_mork is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.