Torx bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Torx bolts

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Firedad
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Torx bolts

Ok, I know some folks will think I'm nuts, but we've recently taken about all the torx bolts off the YJ to do a proper paint job (under the hinges, etc.). Now, about 75% of the bolts came out nicely (if you consider PB, heat, and an impact gun nicely). But 25% got screwed up. Any ideas where I can buy some to replace the missing ones? I believe they are 5/16"x18 thread.

Also, when I replace them, should I use anti-seize or thread lock? I don't anticipating taking them apart soon, but I certainly want to keep rust and paint from working their way into the threads.

Firedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

Fastenal (sp?) stores should have all the bolts you need. Consider getting regular bolt heads or allen heads for replacements. I use anti-sieze on every bolt I remove from mine, as long as it's not something that REQUIRES threadlock, I hate the stuff.
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
ShowStopper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Great post, I'm in the process of doing the same thing.... I'm anticipating plenty of screwed up bolts.
ShowStopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
jeepnaked89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i wouldn't but here you go Machine screws, Torx pan head thread cutting screw type F, Zinc plated steel (waxed)
[QUOTE=molshove;11431841]"I'll disregard the second half of your post with the understanding that this kind of **** flies in the YJ forum, cluttered with 16 year olds and infantile adults with no future - but we don't support it here."[/QUOTE]
jeepnaked89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
Tcarsten
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Deffinetly use a different head i used the allen heads on mine.
The ****ty thing was i had to buy 100 of them it was cheaper them buying 1 at a time. And now i have a whole bunch as replacments
Tcarsten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
Firedad
1989 YJ Wrangler 

"And now i have a whole bunch as replacments"

Wanna sell some ???
Unread 07-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
87jeepyj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i got all mine right off of 4wd.com
87jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
bscline09

I would suggest using allen heads because the regular bolts (ie phillips head or flat blade...not sure proper name) dont allow enough leverage so you can tighten them, unless tightened with a drill which can be a pain to get out every time. With allen wrench heads, you have the leverage with the wrench and a heck of a lot easier than moving that drill around everytime. Torx heads suck and have had many broken! Dont replace with those IMO
bscline09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
87jeepyj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yea the ones i bought came with allen heads
87jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
Tcarsten
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedad View Post
"And now i have a whole bunch as replacments"

Wanna sell some ???

Yea that would be cool

Im not sure how we could do this

How many do u need
Tcarsten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
CrzyMtnMan
1996 ZJ 

In this application, I never re-use any fastner. Find a local fastner supplier, although I have never used Fastenal they should be able to help you out, as bulk fastners are not that expensive, replace all with new when you re-assemble. They should be able to supply you with the tool or bit to do so.
CrzyMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #12
brapwithit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yup they are 5/16x18x1" or 1-1/4". I just bought a box of 100 stainless for about 40 bux. We sell them at work. They are call flat socket cap. Or flat socket head. Fastenal should have them.
brapwithit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 12:20 AM   #13
pmedic271
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had a body shop replaced the windshield frame on my YJ and they broke 4 of the bolts and could not replace them - needless to say how ticked off I was - I searched hardware, stores body shop suppliers, etc and finally found them on ebay.
pmedic271 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #14
Firedad
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I found them on 4wd.com for $1.25 for black and $1.50 for stainless (each). There's a Fastenal about 5 miles away, so I might give them a shout. I just hate the thought of using old, rusty bolts when I've gone this far to do a decent job. Thanks everyone for their ideas / help. I'll let you know what I find out from them.
Unread 07-29-2010, 02:54 AM   #15
nucleardave
1987 YJ Wrangler 

quadratec sells complete bold replacement kits. for every bolt there could possibly be on your jeep. i was looking into getting a kit when i was contemplating a frame swap. they offer torx head and regular hex head. I dont know how much you're looking to spend, and this kit is probably WAY overkill, but a stainless torx replacement kit ran about $200. the hex head set was cheaper than that but i dont know how much off the top of my head. again - thats for everything on your jeep. so you'll get way more than you need...

never hurts to have backups.
nucleardave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bolts , torx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.