Torque arm stud removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Torque arm stud removal

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 02-06-2010, 05:26 AM   #1
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Torque arm stud removal

I'm in the process of replacing my transmission mount and torque arm bushings but I'm having trouble with the torque arm.

I was able to remove the bolt that holds the stud onto the skid plate by accessing the 5/8" nut inside of the skid, however now I can't figure out how to remove that 5/8" nut to remove the bushings.

It seems like the nut on the very top of the torque arm is round and leaves me with no other way to remove this nut. Do I have to remove the larger mount that both the transmission mount, and the torque arm mount to, in order to get these bushings off?

I'm going to the dealership today (:barf to get new nutserts for my skid plate bolts, so I might get a new torque arm stuf as long as it isn't ridiculously priced.

Thanks guys

The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Right above the skidplate below the lower bushing on the torque arm is a spot for a wrench. I think it might be 5'8". You can use this point to hold the arm from rotating while you wrench off the top nut. I believe the top nut is 1/2". If the top is rounded off it sounds like someone stripped it when tightening it on. If this is the case you may have to cut it off. But to answer the question the way to get it off is just the 2 nuts one on the very top and the one you already removed on the very bottom. Once those are removed it should come right out.

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was able to remove the top nut but there's either a retaining clip that I cannot un snap or a split lock washer that has rusted itself to the rest of the assembly.

I was not able to remove it but it would be easy enough to do in the future. As much of a pain removing the skid plate was, it was a lot easier than I thought.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
FishrOfGrizz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I know this posting is old but maybe by chance someone will still be looking at it. I'm trying to do the very same thing myself. However, I've found that the nut directly under the lower bushing is actually part of the bolt as well as the washer below that if I recall correctly. I removed the top nut and top bushing with out an issue. Then I removed the very bottom nut. But now I still can't remove the bolt which still has the lower bushing on it because I can't lower that assembly far enough so that the top of the bolt clears the torque arm. Looks like the only way to do that is to remove the cross member that everything bolts to. Where do you place the jack under the transmission so that you can unbold that bracket between the trans and the cross member?

I am still not clear though why there are small ends on the bushings? And how much do those small ends compress when properly torqued? I wish my Chilton book would address this task but I haven't found any mention of it.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
FishrOfGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yes, you drop the skid plate. i just put the jack anywhere with a 2x12 to spread the load
Unread 11-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
FishrOfGrizz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks SuperJ. I appreciate your taking time to reply.
Unread 11-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just took off the two tranny mount bolts and jacked up the transmission off the skid to get the torque arm stud out. Pretty easy when the tub is off
brentd711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
FishrOfGrizz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks brentd711. I hadn't thought of that approach. Haha, yeah I'm sure a lot of things would be easier when the tub is off.
Unread 11-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
FishrOfGrizz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Trans torque arm stud grommets

I was able to replace the grommets and though I got some improvements in the shake I still feel it wasn't a complete fix.

One thing I noticed when I got the new grommets was the smaller part of the new grommets was not as deep as what was on there. So I put washers behind them to make up for that. Then I tightened up everthing and, as I mentioned above, there was some improvement but I feel like it could still be better.

Any more ideas from you experienced guys?

Thanks
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Did you check the transmission mount also?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
FishrOfGrizz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Good question

Though I unbolted the trans mount from the crossmember I hadn't checked it. I hate the thought of that because I had a real problem with the bolts on the cross member. I only partially lowered the cross member on the bolts and then jacked up the trans for further clearance.

For some reason when I was unbolting the cross member, one of the bolts got about half way out and then pretty nearly locked up. I was finally able to put enough muscle into it to get it to screw back into position - where it actually torques up well. I guess I'll have to deal with that some kind of way if I have to drop the cross member. Actually one of the threaded inserts in the frame that the cross member bolts thread into is stripped but I thought that the other bolts would provide enough support not to be a problem. That may be my problem however.

I wonder if those inserts are available to replace. Best I can figure, there is a hole drilled in the bottom of the frame thru which the threaded insert is placed and then tack welded in place.

Thanks for your comment.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.